• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

HF workbench issue

KingBowzer

Reaction score
First name
Joshua
Hello all, and I hope im posting this in the proper place.

So as the title suggests I have one of the "hardwood" Harbor freight woodworking benches that I picked up on one of the local sells your stuff sites for next to nothing. I figured that if nothing else it could be used as a stationary place for some of my benchtop tools.

Now mind you, my "shop" isn't a shop, but actually a small back bedroom in my house, and space is too limited to actually build myself a quality bench.

That being said, when using this workbench for hand plane work, its just not doing the job. If im planing down the length of the table or across the width of the table it rocks a bit either way. I'm using the bottom shelf for wood storage, and there's a pretty good amount of weight on that shelf but no matter what I do the bench wants to rock under the force of the plane. Im 6'3 so the table sits a little lower than what I'd like for hand tool work but I just can't seem to figure out a fix. I've tightened and retightened the bolts for it an I still have a wobbly bench.

Any suggestions how I might fix this?

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Here is what someone said they did on another site:

”I have one of the benches to fill in until I can build one, its not too bad.
I glued the thing together and added a 2X6 under the bottom shelf tying the legs together. Also, a maple board along the back side that is flush with the top edge. This stiffened the thing up enough for hand planning.”

pic of how they did the 2x6

8AE58EEC-2013-42AE-8824-64A32C9A2AC0.jpeg

KingBowzer

Reaction score
First name
Joshua
Here is what someone said they did on another site:

”I have one of the benches to fill in until I can build one, its not too bad.
I glued the thing together and added a 2X6 under the bottom shelf tying the legs together. Also, a maple board along the back side that is flush with the top edge. This stiffened the thing up enough for hand planning.”

pic of how they did the 2x6

View attachment 200842
Awesome, thanks for the response. With the maple board do you mean on the outside of the backside of the table where rear drawer faces are exposed?