Hollow Form Accidental Design

Smitty

Reaction score
First name
dan
Just completed the finial portion of a hollow form. The design did turn out as originally planned. Neverteless, I was able to salvage it.

The hollow form base was supposed to be bottom up. I messed up by going through what was originally to be the bottom. I contemplated what to do to salvage this piece of spalted birch. I decided to turn it over and use the bottom as the top by turning a piece of walnut to glue into what is now the bottom. I guess you could call it a plug.

The opening became much larger than intended. It went from what was going to be 1.5" diameter to 2.25" diameter. However, I guess it is still a hollow form, as long as the opening is smaller than the diameter. The diameter is about 5.25". The height of the base is almost 2", and the overall height with to the top of the finial is about 5".

The base of the finial is walnut while the finial itself is some exotic hardwood of sorts.

100_0717.JPG

100_0718.JPG

100_0719.JPG

100_0720.JPG

100_0721.JPG

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Shhhhh... No one will ever know the difference, except for you. And, now us!

It looks great regardless!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Agree with Chuck. Nice save!

Tip: The first thing many woodturners (& collectors) do is turn over your piece to view the bottom. Consider some ways to make your writing a little less distracting like moving it over to the walnut plug, or in a circle around the foot using black ink.

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Nice save! Agree with the comment about signing the piece. Fine tipped metallic markers can work on dark wood.

Smitty

Reaction score
First name
dan
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks, all. Good points about signing. Also, the more I look at it, I too think the finial is too tall.

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Nice save. I like the finial height but think the middle bead should be smaller diameter, maybe half way size between other two beads.