Honey Pot from Barb

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I have to admit I was disappointed with the "magnet light". No fault of the light but when I heard it described that way, my mind, which is always running Physics theory in the background, immediately thought; "somebody made a light that is powered by magnets on the spinning lathe chuck!!!!" Yep, disappointed. Does look like a cool light but I'll never be able to look at it the same again with that, cord & plug, hanging off it. Simply barbaric.
Lol, barbaric or not, it’s a handy dandy little light. 🙂

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Here's the finished product. I had a few issues with this one mainly because of the quick set epoxy I used. You can see the micro bubbles in the finish that I couldn't get out with a heat gun. I also made the lid a bit more narrow than I intended. All in all, I think it still looks good. :)

20210927_125408.jpg 20210927_125443.jpg 20210927_125451.jpg 20210927_125505.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks good to me Barb. I'm sure the wife will approve.
Thank you so much....

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
That is really beautiful! Again.
I don't see no bubbles, I see character. Honey is full of bubbles too so it matches.

Ever make one of these entirely from wood, leaving the interior, or the whole thing uncoated? I have to wonder what the interaction between the raw wood and honey would be over time. Sugars & natural resins would probably embed in the wood.
I found it very interesting years ago, talking to a garlic farmer & Bee Keeper who makes a bunch of medicinal products from the bees. I bought raw bee propolis from him and added alcohol to make a liquid tincture. Best thing ever for an oncoming sore throat.. He told me how the bees take the natural resins from select trees to make the propolis and use it to coat every last inch of the interior of the hive box and frames as a way to sterilize the hive against mold and bacteria. Said they even entomb the carcasses of any creature that ventures into/invades the hive and are killed, preventing them from rotting and contaminating the hive.
Going to have to experiment with putting some on a piece of wood....

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I don't see no bubbles, I see character. Honey is full of bubbles too so it matches.

Ever make one of these entirely from wood, leaving the interior, or the whole thing uncoated? I have to wonder what the interaction between the raw wood and honey would be over time. Sugars & natural resins would probably embed in the wood.
I found it very interesting years ago, talking to a garlic farmer & Bee Keeper who makes a bunch of medicinal products from the bees. I bought raw bee propolis from him and added alcohol to make a liquid tincture. Best thing ever for an oncoming sore throat.. He told me how the bees take the natural resins from select trees to make the propolis and use it to coat every last inch of the interior of the hive box and frames as a way to sterilize the hive against mold and bacteria. Said they even entomb the carcasses of any creature that ventures into/invades the hive and are killed, preventing them from rotting and contaminating the hive.
And propolis is a real b---h to clean off hives or to pry apart supers that have been glued together with propolis.

Last edited:

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara

Thank you! This is only the third one I've ever made and they've all been the same. If I ever did make an all wood one, I think I'd still put an epoxy coating on the inside so it could be washed easily without raising the grain. I've never heard of propolis but it sounds like that would be an ideal finish for the inside of a wooden one. I'd even like to get some for myself. I rarely take over the counter medicine. I prefer all natural sources.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
@Barb!!!
Oh my goodness. Omg.omg. omg. Omg.

Just got the honey pot in the mail. Omg. Omg. Omg. Omg.

It is absolutely fantastic! Omg. Omg. Omg.

I absolutely love it. It is sooo well done. The micro bubbles actual add to the splendour of it!
Omg. Omg. Omg.
I love you Barb! You hit this outa the park.
Thank you thank you thank you!!!

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Did I mention,
OMG

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
@Barb!!!

I absolutely love it. It is sooo well done. The micro bubbles actual add to the splendour of it!
Omg. Omg. Omg.
I'm so glad you love it! That makes me happy. I was a little worried it wouldn't be good enough. :)

Last edited:

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
@Barb!!!

Omg. Omg. Omg.
Anyone get the idea that Marck really likes it?? Cmon Marck, tell us how you really feel.......... Jerry (in Tucson)