how do I turn this

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I was givin this bowl blank that has a .75 wide x 2.25 deep groove around it. I am not sure how to go about turning it any ideas. the groove is perfectly square sided and square bottom.

deep bowl.jpg deep bowl1.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I wonder if the intention was to make a chip and dip bowl out of that blank? You could continue with that idea if you want, or just ignore what was done and make a normal bowl out of it.

Regardless, my first step would be to turn the outside to final shape and sand. Then, if you want to make a chip/dip bowl, I would turn the middle "dip" portion first, then turn the outside. If you want a standard bowl. I'd get rid of the middle portion before finishing turning the inside.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
never thought of that but it won't work, it is 4" deep, too deep for chip and dip dish

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
I'm guessing the person who gave it to you is not available to ask. Perhaps they were plunge cutting and had to stop for whatever reason and never got back to finish removing material. I would finish the outside as Tim mentions and then finish cutting the middle section and slowly reduce the outer wall to match the outside as close as possible.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
I'll give it a shot, any idea what the wood is, kinda leaning towards mesquite. I think Jerry gave me this but can't remember thanks Mike

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I'll give it a shot, any idea what the wood is, kinda leaning towards mesquite. I think Jerry gave me this but can't remember thanks Mike
I probably did when I visited last year. .......... If you have those calipers that look like an 8, measure the thickness at the bottom of the slot and wall thickness there. If it's over a 1/2", you got it, Man. Start turning and don't worry too much about that crack. If you choose to stabilize it, that's OK to. .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
Hi jerry I thought I got it from you but wasn't sure, I don't have calipers but by rough outside measurement the bottom is ify. It will be a challenge. What i have to solve now is removing the tenon I can't get the bowl centered well and it show in the bottom

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I'm not saying this is what you should do, but it's what I would do.

Step #1 - determine if the rim is a true circle centered on the dimple I can see in the middle of the face. (Dividers make it easy, but there are lots of ways to do it.)

Step #2 - determine if the tenon that the chuck is gripping is centered - does the rim/face wobble when the lathe runs? Is the dimple in the middle of the face the center of rotation?

If the existing tenon is way off center, I'd remake it. I'd start by putting the entire block between a spur center and a live center (not in a chuck) to get things running as true as possible at the face rim, then cut the tenon again. (Yes, there might be some depth sacrificed, c'est la vie.)

Once it's good, I'd just pretend that groove isn't there. It's a bowl blank - chuck it, shape the outside, sand the outside, hollow the inside, sand it, and either finish it & part off or part off & finish it.