• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. This section is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! All others will be deleted. This section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

How do you finish wood / resin

Tim Shettlesworth

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I have been having trouble finishing projects that are a combination of wood and resin. The wood finishes I have tried smear on the resin and if I buff and polish the resin first then the compound gets on the wood and keeps it from taking a finish. Best I have found so far is Danish oil but I would like to get a gloss finish on the wood. How are you finishing projects like this?

20210219_185201.jpg

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Can't see from the picture that there is a problem. It is strikingly gorgeous! I've not turned a combo piece before, so haven't encountered the problem you inquired about. I'm following this thread with interest. Chuck

Tim Shettlesworth

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Can't see from the picture that there is a problem. It is strikingly gorgeous! I've not turned a combo piece before, so haven't encountered the problem you inquired about. I'm following this thread with interest. Chuck
Picture is just for reference. It's the piece I am working on but I have removed all the finish to try again.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I sand to 2000. For high shine, have you tried multiple coats of osmo? That is what I have seen used for high shine on this combo before.
Disclaimer- haven't personally used that product. I use a wax based and got this. It doesnt knock your eyes out. I would say semi gloss sheen level, but it is equal between the epoxy and wood. I have seen ca treated wood take a better shine but that would be a heavy dose of cyanide fumes right there!

16138224149906194592855514560399.jpg

Tim Shettlesworth

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I sand to 2000. For high shine, have you tried multiple coats of osmo? That is what I have seen used for high shine on this combo before.
Disclaimer- haven't personally used that product. I use a wax based and got this. It doesnt knock your eyes out. I would say semi gloss sheen level, but it is equal between the epoxy and wood. I have seen ca treated wood take a better shine but that would be a heavy dose of cyanide fumes right there!

View attachment 203439
Haven't tried OSMO but have tried Tried and True which is similar and can get a good semi-gloss but I have a customer that wants a high gloss. On this kind of project I personally like a natural finish but people want what they want Lol

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
If you're looking for gloss finish in a mixed resin/wood combo, you're going to have to go with some sort of a film finish.

For small turnings, such as pens and bottle stoppers, I would do a CA finish. Sand it all to 1000 grit before finishing with CA. Then sand/polish.

For a larger turning, such as the one you have pictured, I would sand it and then apply either lacquer or poly, then sand/polish that.

eaglea1

Castaway
Reaction score
First name
Randy
Tim, I usually start out with 220 grit, and finish that up to about 400 grit. I then move onto Dr. Kirks and use that applied with a
embedded pad from Klingspor. I then move over to wet sanding and start out at 2K grit until I get a swarf built up and then wipe that
clean, I repeat the wet sanding process moving all the way up to 12000 grit. Then I will wipe it dry and go over to a fine polish like
HUT from Penn state. Once I get the finish I'm looking for, I will then do a combo finish with a mixture of clear shellac, boiled linseed oil, and
denatured alcohol. That's just one method I use.

aag562

Reaction score
First name
Anthony
If you're looking for gloss finish in a mixed resin/wood combo, you're going to have to go with some sort of a film finish.

For small turnings, such as pens and bottle stoppers, I would do a CA finish. Sand it all to 1000 grit before finishing with CA. Then sand/polish.

For a larger turning, such as the one you have pictured, I would sand it and then apply either lacquer or poly, then sand/polish that.
I have read and heard that how you finish is the best way on larger one a wipe on poly seems to get the most thumbs up.