• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

How I make my mini snowman

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Now let's part off the hat....

1230201220_HDR.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Now you get to attach the hat to the body. I use a drop of medium ca.

1230201152_HDR.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
OK, i had a hat already made and decided to use it instead of the one I showed how to make here. But this is it. you are now all done with the mini snowman.

1230201153d_HDR.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I hope this is a good enough tutorial for you start on your mini snowman army. If you have any questions about the process, let me know here, and I'll do my best to answer them.

Thanks for looking in!!

Maverick

Reaction score
First name
John
Thanks for the tutorial. I have a bunch of acrylic shorts that I didn’t know what I was going to do with them. Maybe they have a purpose now.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Most Excellent!!!

Thanks for showing everything, especially the link to your sanding sponges, going to save me a lot of time in the future. I've been sanding with strips of 600x, then going through all micro mesh, then Novus 1,2 polishes. Takes longer to sand/polish than to turn them.

Q: are you using the sponges wet or dry?

Your process is essentially the same as what I've done, just differs a little in work holding and tools (I don't have carbide). Just a note, that this process also works well if you are turning them from wood.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Great thread Marc, thanks for all the work taking pictures! I'm surprised you don't use the round carbide to take the nib off the top of the hat, figure that would be easier. That thin parting tool will come in handy for these I think.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I'm surprised you don't use the round carbide to take the nib off the top of the hat, figure that would be easier.

I did at first, but the one I have is way too big for it. So I used the square one. I also use it to smooth outthe top hat top edge.
I need to make a smaller carbide tool soon.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I did at first, but the one I have is way too big for it. So I used the square one. I also use it to smooth outthe top hat top edge.
I need to make a smaller carbide tool soon.
Maybe a carbide cupped tool would work?