How much would you pay for this?

aag562

Reaction score
First name
Anthony
I'm in love with this piece of burl and want to know how much you guys would pay for it right now it's up to 75 bucks watching ends in an hour the dimensions are 8 and 1/2 by 3 and 1/2

Screenshot_20210305-185034_Facebook.jpg

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
To me, it comes down to how much you want it. I've paid way more than most would've for some wood that I felt I had to have. Conversely, I've turned down stuff that other guys would die for because it didn't do anything for me. You have to feel good with your decision.

aag562

Reaction score
First name
Anthony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Tony I've never seen anything like this before, so that is why I'm asking is it worth 40 bucks a boards foot? I don't know. It would make some amazing knife scales to sell.

aag562

Reaction score
First name
Anthony
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I came up with $40 approximately a board foot

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
You can make really cool stuff with it but it will likely need epoxy cast and that will need factored into the "is it worth this to me?" Figure. Otherwise, burl is pay what you feel like wood...

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I highly disagree.... respectfully. Burl is something that someone needs to do their reaearch on. Or just be willing to pay for something off a knee jerk reaction....
That's basically what I was saying. Individual burls are valued for their individual character. Or lack thereof. You compare to other burls but in the end it's only worth what you are willing to pay. At least to you...

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Just cut a cherry burl today. Probably won't get a couple 2x2 blanks from it. But I got a few more good ones

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
but if you owned it would you sell it to one of your regular customers?
I have sold a couple wormy cast pieces. That said- I do not like bugs in my wood. lots of holes in wet wood mean lots of bugs- I destroy most of it- Fire at mill is very effective. Been selling specialty wood for over a decade. you have to find your niche, what you do best and ta hell with all the rest. buggy castable wood is not it for me. so would I sell it- sure- but my opportunities are very limited since I throw away before I get home with it....

Last edited: