How to properly store 10/4 walnut boards?

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
I recently had the opportunity to get 4 walnut boards that are 10/4 x 97". They range in width from 8" to 11.5"

Of course I knew I wanted them, so I loaded them in the Explorer and away I went. Now I'm home with no place to really store them and a wife that's giving me that look. You know the one..... :scare3:

Without knowing what I want to do with them just yet, my storage options are limited to the following:

1) Under our deck, which is out of the sun. Unfortunately it has a decent slope to it and does get fairly wet during rain. Obviously I could put a tarp over them but I would be worried about warping, nesting animals, boring bugs, etc.

2) Possibly, in the garage. I'd need to move a fair amount which I'm not opposed to, but irrespective of that they would need to be stored vertically. Stacking them horizontally on stickers is NOT a possibility.

I've not had experience storing larger pieces of lumber like this for long periods, so I'm turning to the experts for all advice, opinions, and thoughts you have to help ensure these pieces stay in the best possible shape they can given the storage options I have.

As always, thanks in advance!

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Perhaps it is time to buy a small storage building. Wood should be stickered until it is good and dry. Chuck

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
If its not dry it needs to be stickered and flat. If its dry you can store it vertically. Up in the rafters of the garage is also a good place if its open. I would avoid under the porch in a wet area. Where is your shop? Is there room in there?

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
As said garage rafters is a good location, but sometimes access is a problem. Without knowing your garage layout, I would say build a rack above your garage door beneath the ceiling. Usually a good foot of usable space.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately I don't have the ability to have another storage room or shed; I wish I did!

I thought about putting them up in the rafters above the garage, but given our layout that would require some modifications and if I ever got them up there they would probably stay there. And I've already used up the space above the garage door with a rack.

While I don't have a moisture meter, they appear to be fairly dry and I think storing them vertically is probably my best bet at this point. I will Anchor Seal the ends and put them on another piece of wood so they're not sitting directly on the concrete.

Now for the big question, what to make from them? :ponder:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Well, they are probably a little thick, but if it were me, I'd probably make a Maloof style rocking chair. I think most plans for that style rocker call for 8/4 though. Don't recall off the top of my head how many bd ft are required, but what you have should be enough.

Last edited:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Well, they are probably a little thick, but if it were me, I'd probably make a Maloof style rocking chair. I think most plans for that style rocker call for 8/4 though. Don't recall off the top of my head how many bd ft are required, but what you have should be enough.

I might have enough wood for it, but am very much lacking the skills for that one!

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Thought I'd share a picture for all you wood junkies!

Getting these Anchor Sealed and put into the garage today.

20200927_154810.jpg