How to "unglue" a Nova chuck

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
I had a project on the lathe, that needed a little CA glue......I've always been very careful NOT to get the damn stuff into the inner workings of the chuck up until this time. To make a long story short, the chuck is stuck together, and totally locked up. What will dissolve CA glue? I've got the chuck soaking in lacquer thinner tonite and I'll see in the morning if that works.......
I'm wondering if that fails if putting it in an oven for awhile.......any help and advice, is very welcome......and your comments like "you dumb ass" and other descriptive phrases will be expected also....
Thanks again guys.
Larry :ponder: :rulz: :old:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Definitely acetone. Been there, done that, bought the shirt...

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
The thinner didn't work at all?

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Definitely acetone. Been there, done that, bought the shirt...

Thanks Doc! After rep[laying this in my mind several times, the spalted wood that I was turning was a lot more porous than I thought. I was amazed at how much CA was being absorbed.....what actually happened was it was just running through the wood, into the chuck......I'll probably have to soak it for a week...
Larry

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
The thinner didn't work at all?

I checked the lacquer thinner soak about an hour ago, it did soften the CA, but apparently there is a lot of CA in the inner workings of the chuck....I'll go to the acetone soak as soon as I get back from Lowes in a couple hours. It's really "locked in" between the moveable jaws, and the body of the chuck.....have you ever disassembled a Nova chuck?

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Not too bad to take apart, there is a snap ring on the backside you remove and it'll come apart. I third or fourth acetone. Get the good stuff in the quart can, not nail polish remover as they thin that stuff out.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Not too bad to take apart, there is a snap ring on the backside you remove and it'll come apart. I third or fourth acetone. Get the good stuff in the quart can, not nail polish remover as they thin that stuff out.

I took the snap ring off last nite when I discovered the problem, but everything was locked together so tight, it still wouldn't come apart....I'll do the acetone soak for a few hours, then try again....
Thanks
Larry

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I took the snap ring off last nite when I discovered the problem, but everything was locked together so tight, it still wouldn't come apart....I'll do the acetone soak for a few hours, then try again....
Thanks
Larry[/QUOTE

you can also speed it up a lil by using a brush to scrub around inside...

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Just bought two quarts of acetone from WalMart, 'cause it was $4.50/quart, instead of $7.00 at Lowes......(I love being a cheap skate!). Got home, dumped out the lacquer thinner from last nite's soak. The CA was beginning to soften a bit, and I coud move the jaw, although they are still very tight. Now, it's in the acetone soak for a few hours, hopefully by the end of the day, all will be well....
Larry

Bigdrowdy1

Reaction score
First name
Rodney
Acetone will work ask my wife after she became super super glued to a 50 cent stuffed teddy bear she was gonna fix. 3 fingers and a thumb her pinky was free for a little bit but she managed to get it as well at the end. The fibers were slow to dry LOL. When she came running into the house the look on her face was priceless!!!! Good thing about it, she now leaves my super glue alone!!!

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Free at last, free at last, I've defeated the evils of CA, thanks to all of you, acetone, and silicone spray......it's still a little stiff, but usable, (no other comments about that will be needed!).
At any rate, thanks to all of you.....for getting me through my latest screw up..
Larry