• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

Hud-Son blade guide rebuild

Mandolin

Reaction score
First name
Roger
Rebuilt my blade guides on my Hud-Son 228 yesterday. New bearings, flattened the shoes. The one on the left is the “after” and the right is the “before.” Put them back on the mill today and it cuts like new!

1FA6B036-0313-465A-B31E-6CB645DC2240.jpeg

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
Rebuilt my blade guides on my Hud-Son 228 yesterday. New bearings, flattened the shoes. The one on the left is the “after” and the right is the “before.” Put them back on the mill today and it cuts like new!

View attachment 214264
That's very interesting to me. I have the hudson sawyer and it uses the same blade guides. Did you merely clean/file the shoes? And did you go to hudson for the bearing or just use a off the shelf bearing? I am only 6 to 9 months in, but am sure the blade guides will continue to deteriorate with use as does everything else. I prefer preventive maintenance to repairing the rest of the stuff that tore up because I waited...

Mandolin

Reaction score
First name
Roger
I clamp the shoes in a vise snd flatten them with a regular 10 inch bastard file. I buy my bearings from a logging equipment business close by where I live.