Huisache shakers- a Christmas request

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Just before Thanksgiving my friend that has supplied me with most of the Huisache I use discretely asked if I could make a salt/pepper shaker/toothpick holder for him as a present. "Sure!" said I, just before I somehow tore a cartilage in my knee--just walking in my house :whatever:. Anyway it was a while before I could walk around. let alone stand at a lathe. Got it done! and delivered at breakfast on the 23rd.
These are about 5.5 inches tall, finish is CA (because of time), all came from the same chunk of tree, although I did cut the toothpick holder with a different grain orientation.

IMG_0263.JPG

IMG_0265.JPG

IMG_0264.JPG

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I like the design and shape. Nice...

What are the white spots on the the two on the right side in the grooves?

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Great stuff! However, I wonder how many people are wondering what the heck a huisache is, is it bigger than a bread box, and how do you pronounce it?

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Great stuff! However, I wonder how many people are wondering what the heck a huisache is, is it bigger than a bread box, and how do you pronounce it?

Haha-- it's "wee-satch". It's a species of Acacia and is a lot thornier and scrubbier than Mesquite. Doesn't usually get big 'cause it's hated so much. Wood is hard, tends to move-- sure is pretty though.

vegas urban lumber

Reaction score
First name
trev
some has a great red hue to it. from the looks of yours maybe all of it is reddish. picture below is huisache from a landscape removal here in vegas. i only know that cause david id'd it for me

1472075840.jpg

Last edited:

David Hill

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
some has a great red hue to it. from the looks of yours maybe all of it is reddish. picture below is huisache from a landscape removal here in vegas. i only know that cause david id'd it for me

I have some like that too. Most of mine goes toward orange, but it can vary a lot---even in the same tree.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Oh, I've got my share of huisache thorn scars - some even in places i'm too shy to show!