Humidor

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
Does anyone make humidors? Getting into cigars a little bit and tired of having my buddy store them in his humidor at his house. I get that it's really just a box made from specific woods, but wanted to see if we have anyone that makes them before I decide on building or buying.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
@Don Ratcliff

He built one back in 2019, do advanced search. I am having issues remembering how to copy a "thread" name so I can paste it. I will call it a senior moment...... Thought I had remembered someone on here doing one; just not sure the level of technical detail he included. I know you need to have certain things right; or the baseball will go bad......oh, wait, that is Rockies humidor.......

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I’ve made a few….. fun and functional pieces. I’ve used various woods but always lined them with Spanish cedar. The key for me is getting a nice tight seal.

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
I've got a few small planks of Spanish cedar that I'd love to sell you cheap.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I have bought some several at thrift stores because she thought they were neat boxes but I have never made one. That being said, if someone is making one, I may be able to find one to take clues from... and if she isn't watching maybe even a humidity guage... :sofa:

Bigg081

Reaction score
First name
Shane
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@Ray D
Are you interested in making another? Or if you’ve kept yours and are not using them, selling one?

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
I do still own one but it’s in use. The other two were gifts to family and friends. I don’t really want to make another one but I can take pictures I’d mine and walk you through the process. Like I mentioned earlier, it’s just a fancy box either a Spanish cedar lining. Th hardest part for myself was laying out and milling the slots for the quadrant hinges.

7A5F63E0-EA45-4C45-BC80-3D6566AC0DBC.jpeg

F02A3C37-80CD-4B38-9E37-60706530EA0B.jpeg

Bigg081

Reaction score
First name
Shane
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do still own one but it’s in use. The other two were gifts to family and friends. I don’t really want to make another one but I can take pictures I’d mine and walk you through the process. Like I mentioned earlier, it’s just a fancy box either a Spanish cedar lining. Th hardest part for myself was laying out and milling the slots for the quadrant hinges.

View attachment 229891

View attachment 229892
Beautiful

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
@Ray D I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you start a thread showing more of the box next to the humidor--sure would love to see that!!
Did you use Brusso for the quadrant hinges? And in the building of a humidor, should the lid be kind of a "pop" fit??
Thanks!!

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
@Ray D I don't want to hijack this thread, but if you start a thread showing more of the box next to the humidor--sure would love to see that!!
Did you use Brusso for the quadrant hinges? And in the building of a humidor, should the lid be kind of a "pop" fit??
Thanks!!
Morning. As much as I wanted to use the Brusso brand I just could not stomach the price. I believe I got them at Rockwood but they were solid brass. And yes, you want that popping sound when it opens. I run the cedar lining about 1/4 “ taller then the sides so that it extends up into the humidor lid…. That’s how I do it anyway. Let me see what other box your referring to.

Last edited:

Greenacres2

Reaction score
First name
Earl
Its the one on top of that drop-dead gorgeous hall table, just to the right of the humidor. Looks to be made of lacewood or such, with a blackwood or ebony handle & feet. Might have a little drool on it that leaked in from my monitor. (not saying i like your work, but you do seem to treat top-notch woods with due respect!!)
earl

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
@Greenacres2 asked me about the box next to the humidor. If I remember correctly it was a box that was featured in a woodworking magazine. I made several of these for Christmas gifts.

image.jpg

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
Does anyone make humidors? Getting into cigars a little bit and tired of having my buddy store them in his humidor at his house. I get that it's really just a box made from specific woods, but wanted to see if we have anyone that makes them before I decide on building or buying.
Make the box how you like, seal it well as it will have humidity and line it with Spanish cedar. You can make any configuration inside that works for you.