I grew up logging. Three quarters of a century later we see a lot of bad work!

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I did ask to read your work and am very interested in it still.... A couple links would be cool or even a "hey Google this it's my work" would suffice...

I understand you are an accomplished man and highly respect that.. On same hand, you arent the only one here with serious accomplishments, whether those people talk highly or not about them...

WoodBarter is about sharing and helping others... People are asking you to share, and not in the terms of pictures or tales, but rather the stuff you have published to further help people learn about what you know.

TheHuntingRifle

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I spent my time tonight with an Oregon timber related question. So I use put down requests for right now as some things require immediate and undivided attention. Some of the oldest landholdings have situations going on that need input, some of it my help.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
The Wood Forum site is quite excellent. My sole reason for being here is I lead a purposefully isolated life at times. Just Allen and I do not know each other. But I am sure almost everybody here is a good guy or gal. With the possible exception of myself. I am extremely goal oriented and I would like to think the whole world better improve or be on the scrap heap of Humanity. Any exchange, even face to face has its foibles. I for some time dealt with many who did not speak my language, and that can be difficult. English was not my first language. I did graduate work in Idaho so I am pretty familiar with that setting. My agenda on logging is about as far from liberal as anyone’s. Your lines about not worrying about world fish stocks though is troubling. If I felt most loggers were bad I would not have had the place in that industry as I have had. If you think I have a liberal agenda the politicans that know me know the exact opposite.

Sorry- I think you missed meaning of this sentence. You assumed I do not worry about bigger picture or was unaware. Research is about truth not assumptions. "and this being a very NON political venue- we are not here to worry about worldwide fishstocks and how most loggers are bad" Most of us come here to get away from world problem- Hell they will be there in 30 min when we turn the tube back on. We come here because of our mutual love of the wonderment of nature called wood. To learn how other people look at using it- find it. To trade wisdom and material. To laugh- to be lighthearted. And I am sorry but worrying about the world wide fish stocks- 1. aint included in that 2. Gets political really fast 3. Is obviously your agenda but you should not assume it is ours nor should you worry about that
. We worry about whether our finish is going to dry... And Idaho- born and raised there- gramps was a little Gypo loggers about '57 traded horse for little john deere lindeman tracked tractor. I have lived with the people- worked with them most of my live. I know doing a yr or 2 graduate work surpass's that in your mind but you should remember- I do not agree. Have a good one.

Last edited:

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
A question to Member Albert Kiebert: what kind of wooden bowl is your Avatar? Lieutenants of The Roman Army reported that a Mongol Ruler and Warrior they visited drank from a wooden cup and used a wooden bowl. They were extremely impressed with him as a leader, his mind and his leadership and his horsemanship and his leadership style. I have long admired their horses as among the toughest and most interesting mounts. Also their interest in Eagle Hunting. The movie Eagle Huntress has to me been one of the most interested modern movies on the Planet. Julius Caesar supposedly named the Atlantic Salmon. Salmo Salar The Leaper. A number of years later Roman Soldiers supposedly traveled for some time with the Nomadic Warriors of Mongol.

So what wood is the bowl? We have turned more than a few, but not with the success you would think ever would make a leader like Genghis Kahn use a bowl we made!

@TheHuntingRifle The piece that I currently use for my Avatar is a Platter made from Black Walnut crotch. Lots of history stuff associated with your question, thanks for all that.

TheHuntingRifle

Reaction score
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
We have a Big American Walnut on our lawn on what used to be the Home Farm. I did cut some really nice Black Walnut there, but have kept the trees I used to climb in. Surprisingly those trees have not doubled in size from when I was a boy over about 75 years ago. So for right now those trees stay. We have had very mixed results with bowl making. Some Black Cherry make very nice looking bowls butbin time seem to check if not polymerized heavily. Our 1790 Farm has some nice Black Walnut and a few huge Sugar Maple. And hundreds of acres of other timber. Most wood is not made into keepsake wood products.

Last edited:

Eric Rorabaugh

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Eric
Please, I'm not wanting to get into a big argument. But @Mike1950 is right, we all come here for the love of wood working. This is our escape from the BS of life. We are here to learn, teach, throw friendly jabs at each other, etc. Politics and religion are debates, neither side will win because of individual beliefs. But @TheHuntingRifle, people have asked for a way to look at your published work because they are interested in reading it. You seem like you are dodging this request. You said in a post just a couple back that you had to go and deal with whatever but you turn around in just a little bit and post again. Just my two cents. Please enjoy your time here but we are not interested in arguing!!! Have a wonderful blessed day!!!!