I need a mauser stock

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
I have a .243 built on a m98 action, it's a great shooting rifle currently in a black synthetic stock. I don't hunt with it and rarely shoot it. Now the problem, my daughter in law and grandson have taken a interest in hunting and lack a suitable rifle. My .243 would make a low recoil rifle for either of them to use except the stock is too long. I really don't want to hack up my nice synthetic stock so I am looking for a beater wood stock to drop it into. I have done a lot of stock work and can take care of any minor fitting and repair issues and will likely glass bed it anyway. Just looking for one that I don't have to feel bad about lopping a little off the pull. An old sporterised military would be fine. I have stuff to trade, wood, reloading brass, or cash. No rush since it's pretty much too late for this year and I think my grandson needs at least another year before he is ready.

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
.243 would be perfect for them. Built on a Mauser action... SWEET! Nothing here but I'll keep my eyes open. If you don't find anything elsewhere, FleaBay usually has lots of exactly what you're looking for.
I assume you've already tried Sarco & Gun Parts Inc?

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
.243 would be perfect for them. Built on a Mauser action... SWEET! Nothing here but I'll keep my eyes open. If you don't find anything elsewhere, FleaBay usually has lots of exactly what you're looking for.
I assume you've already tried Sarco & Gun Parts Inc?
I actually searched eBay after I posted this and was surprised that there are quite a few. I didn't try sarco or gun parts I probably should although gun parts doesn't seem to be as good as they used to be. The gun is a Turkish Mauser, they are a large ring 98 with small ring barrel threads. The barrel was a new Remington take off, Remington barrel threads are just big enough to rethread for the turk. It probably doesn't qualify as a tack driver but it's capable of groups under 1.5".

JerseyHighlander

Reaction score
First name
Kyle
I actually searched eBay after I posted this and was surprised that there are quite a few. I didn't try sarco or gun parts I probably should although gun parts doesn't seem to be as good as they used to be. The gun is a Turkish Mauser, they are a large ring 98 with small ring barrel threads. The barrel was a new Remington take off, Remington barrel threads are just big enough to rethread for the turk. It probably doesn't qualify as a tack driver but it's capable of groups under 1.5".
A stock from a Spanish FR-8 should also fit. It's a large ring Mauser but were re-barreled to .308 NATO as a carbine so the stock is naturally shorter. Mine is a beautiful tiger striped wood.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Please post pictures of before and after, Dave
I will do that. After checking ebay a few times and seeing quite a variety and prices all over the place I think that I will take my time and try to get something nice. I would like to get something before spring so they can have some range time with it.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I will do that. After checking ebay a few times and seeing quite a variety and prices all over the place I think that I will take my time and try to get something nice. I would like to get something before spring so they can have some range time with it.
If you are doing a glass bed anyway, along with custom modifications, how close are you to just making a replacement stock(labor wise) ? I have roughed out a couple but never finished them. They were for friends who were also woodworkers.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
If you are doing a glass bed anyway, along with custom modifications, how close are you to just making a replacement stock(labor wise) ? I have roughed out a couple but never finished them. They were for friends who were also woodworkers.
I have made several from raw blanks. Inletting is very time consuming.

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
I have made several from raw blanks. Inletting is very time consuming.
I reckon it would be a bit time consuming. I haven't done a glass bed or watched a video even. So I haven't any Idea the time involved. I have a habit of roughing stuff out with extremely simple tools so I am a little behind on the finer detailing stuff. A skilsaw is a carving tool to me...

El Guapo

Reaction score
First name
Andrew
Any update, Dave! I’d love to see the progress as you rework a stock and the glass bedding. I know I could learn a lot from seeing you work!

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
No I bid on a couple on eBay but I'm obviously too cheap..

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
No I bid on a couple on eBay but I'm obviously too cheap..
People just get crazy and pay way to much for stuff on ebay. It seems the only time I win a bid is at odd hours when people are sleeping, lol. Even that's getting rare now with people working from home.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
People just get crazy and pay way to much for stuff on ebay. It seems the only time I win a bid is at odd hours when people are sleeping, lol. Even that's getting rare now with people working from home.
For reasons unknown to me, people seem to have an awful lot of extra money. I have been selling off things that I will never use again and don't seem to have a problem finding buyers.