I need some gluing advice

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Hey guys, I've been commissioned to make a cutting board for an outside kitchen. The kitchen will not have a roof or any protection from the elements. He wants a combination cutting board/sink cover. I'm planning on using purple heart, due to it's resistance to decay, moisture, insects, etc., etc.

I will be gluing boards together to make the 18" width, and I've had very good experience with TiteBond III in outdoor applications, so that's what I initially
planned on using. This morning, I was thinking about the project, and am beginning to wonder if perhaps epoxy would be better. I do use System 3 epoxy
frequently and have had excellent experience with it also. I'm beginning to think that maybe I'm "overthinking" this project, so I'm hoping some of y'all
may have more input and help me with the decision...

As always, thanks for all your help and advice.

Larry

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Any problems with food safety using epoxy? Everything that I've read seems to tell me that once the epoxy is cured, it's food safe.
Everything that I've read tells me that once the epoxy is cured, it's food safe......a few years ago, I got on a "shot glass"
making kick, using bamboo for material, I lined the insides with System 3 epoxy, and have been using them ever since
for Irish whisky and bourbon......no ill effects...yet....

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
.no ill effects...yet....
Not even from the Irish Whiskey?

I've not used epoxy for an application like you describe, my go to is Titebond III for cutting boards. Food save and water resistant. I’m not sure it is rated for outdoor use though. Look at Titebond II or Original one of those is but I don’t recall which.

Oh, and get rid of that Irish stuff and get you some good single malt.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
I saved an empty TB3 gallon jug once. The lid was gone and the little bit that was still in the bottle hardened over time. Eventually I cut the top off the jug, pulled out the little bit of glue that had dried. I decided to put that little piece of glue in a smaller jug with water in it to see how long it would last before disintegrating. It was about 10 months later that I took it out of the water for a test. It was like a piece of rubber. You could bend it, tie it into a knot and it was still a solid piece. It wasn't hard at all, but I believe if TB3 gets wet, dries, gets wet again numerous times, it will outlive a human or the wood it was used on. ...... Jerry (in Tucson)

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not even from the Irish Whiskey?

I've not used epoxy for an application like you describe, my go to is Titebond III for cutting boards. Food save and water resistant. I’m not sure it is rated for outdoor use though. Look at Titebond II or Original one of those is but I don’t recall which.

Oh, and get rid of that Irish stuff and get you some good single malt.
😇