Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

I need the formula

Discussion in 'Sanding & Finishing - Woodturning' started by chippin-in, Mar 23, 2018.

1. chippin-in

chippin-in Founding Member Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Robert
    So I am finishing this small piece and I cannot seem to get rid of the light scratches or small striations in the resin. I have sanded up to 600 and then used homemade Yorkshire Grit and then took it to the three wheel buffing with Tripoli white diamond and wax but I cannot get rid of these small scratches. I did not wet sand with micro mesh but that may be what I need to do before I hit the buffing wheels. The sphere that I finished came out nearly perfect without the scratches and I don't remember doing anything different to it then I have done to this piece.

What do y'all suggest?

Thanks
    Robert

20180322_194729.jpg

2. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Robert, are you doing any sanding with the lathe off, sanding in the direction opposite you would with the lathe spinning - i.e. - parallel to the bed of the lathe? Can make a huge difference. After each grit stop the lathe and sand in the opposite direction. Really helps with the scratches.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    On acrylics, you'll want to go to 1500 or even higher (I go to 2000 or 3000 usually) I also wet sand the higher grits with foam backed sanding pads. Work in different directions, not just with the lathe spinning. Then polish with your choice of compound (I use 3M automotive polish like the body shops use to buff out a finish)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. chippin-in

First name:
    Robert
    So you dont use the buffing wheels like the beall system?

5. chippin-in

First name:
    Robert
    I did not sand in different directions, but i did change the position of the piece when using the buffing wheels.

6. chippin-in

First name:
    Robert
    @Sprung that makes sense to me now. I just realized that while the system i used was the same, i changed the sphere's position on the lathe while sanding so i technically sanded in opposite directions while the lathe was on. This piece never changed positions like the round one.

Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  7. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    On acrylics I generally don't but you can. One danger is dumping too much heat into the acrylic and causing it to smear. Biggest thing I've found with acrylics is you have to go farther on the sanding because they are so reflective they'll show any scratches easier.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Robert Baccus

Robert Baccus old forester Full Member

First name:
    Robert
    Auto compounds come in different grits like SP--I use coarse grits and then finer to eliminate scratches--might try. Try compounding and waxing on the lathe and forget the wheels for bigger stuff. Find these at auto paint supply stores--they have a great variety of pro stuff and good advice also. Good luck.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2018
  9. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Novus Plastic Polish on a soft cotton cloth. When you get done polishing your acrylic, it works great on lots of plastic goodies.

10. chippin-in

First name:
    Robert
    I bought some wet/dry sandpaper 1000-3000, i also used some meguiars 2.0 scratch remover and i also used the carnuba wheel. It seemed to work really well. I just have to fix a bubble now....sigh. I will fill it with super glue and resand, all over again.

I have used the novus 3 step on another sphere and it seemed to work ok.

I am trying to get this to a standard operation without breaking the bank and i am almost there.

Thanks everyone for your help
    Robert

11. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    I don't buff acrylics at all, wet sand with 1000 and 3000 keep things seriously wet, then go straight to the Novus polish. Buffing just seems to leave a cloudy finish on acrylics to me. The Novus 2 will polish out bright and clear on the lathe without a lot of effort.

12. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    I don't buff acrylics at all, wet sand with 1000 and 3000 keep things seriously wet, then go straight to the Novus polish. Buffing just seems to leave a cloudy finish on acrylics to me. The Novus 2 will polish out bright and clear on the lathe without a lot of effort.

13. Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1 Member Full Member

First name:
    Rodney
    @rocky1 you typing out both sides of your mouth?

• Funny Funny x 3
  14. chippin-in

First name:
    Robert
    @rocky1 I wipe down the piece with a microfiber towel afterwards cuz it does seem to leave some wax residue sometimes, but I do like the results of buffing on the burl end of the piece.

Thanks
    Robert

15. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Not sure what happened there, I only typed it once! :lol2:

(Damn Phone...)

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  16. Lou Currier

Lou Currier Member Full Member

First name:
    Lou
    I wet sand all the way through the MM grits and like mentioned, sand length ways with the lathe off after each grit.

17. Patrude

Patrude Member Full Member

First name:
    Rich
    Like others have suggested I use the full compliment of micromesh. I've done both wet and dry but my best results come with wet sanding. First though I wet sand with ArbraNet up to 600. I wipe the slurry with a paper towel between grits. I use a firm but soft pressure, you'll develop deeper scratches by applying too much pressure. After the micromesh I bring out the shine with McGuires polishing compound followed with McGuires scratch and swirl remover and then Mcguires black plastic restorer. Lastly a coat of clear mothers gold. Don't be afraid to toss the paper towel between applications. Best to have a unused price each time. I usually finish at 1200 rpm lathe speed. I've yet to try it but some post elsewhere suggested finishing with toothpaste because it has a mild abrasive in itp

Current Time: 4:45 PM