ID Quiz

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not pistache.

Let me show you one more picture which should confirm it.

With UV light.

IMG_4135.JPG

Last edited:

phinds

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Under UV it also looks like black locust

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Black locust it is.

Paul had it right with his first post, as did John. It was the color that threw everybody off.

Now, as to how it turned green.

My "shop" is in a corner of my machine shed with dirt floors. When I'm cutting blanks, turning or whatever, waste falls to the floor, and stays there getting walked on until the pile gets too high and I start getting a sore back from bending over while working. In addition, the shed serves as a haven for the farm cats to get away from the coyotes at night. While I wish they wouldn't, the cats also use the savings as a litter box. It's an attractive nusience, but as long as they cover their mess, I don't step in it, and it doesn't bother me.

When I started shoveling the mess from the last year or so, I started seeing dark green shavings. Then up came the piece of locust. It was probably eight inches deep in compacted shavings that were starting to look more like peat in than shavings.

My best guess the color is a combination of ammonia fumigation along with some anaerobic conditions. It was a year ago in January - February when I cut down a black locust and was processing blanks.

I'm certainly open to any other ideas as to how this occurred, and I may try some experiments to see if I can reproduce the color.

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
I recalled you had cut the Black Locust and Mulberry about a year ago, and did those cool long bowls. But when I saw John posted 'Black Locus't in post 19 without a confirmation, Honey was the only other I thought of that you could get you hands on in your area. Then I realized there was another page and saw the black-light pic and knew only really 2 choices. I took the bait, nice quiz.

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Black locust it is.

Paul had it right with his first post, as did John. It was the color that threw everybody off.

Now, as to how it turned green.

My "shop" is in a corner of my machine shed with dirt floors. When I'm cutting blanks, turning or whatever, waste falls to the floor, and stays there getting walked on until the pile gets too high and I start getting a sore back from bending over while working. In addition, the shed serves as a haven for the farm cats to get away from the coyotes at night. While I wish they wouldn't, the cats also use the savings as a litter box. It's an attractive nusience, but as long as they cover their mess, I don't step in it, and it doesn't bother me.

When I started shoveling the mess from the last year or so, I started seeing dark green shavings. Then up came the piece of locust. It was probably eight inches deep in compacted shavings that were starting to look more like peat in than shavings.

My best guess the color is a combination of ammonia fumigation along with some anaerobic conditions. It was a year ago in January - February when I cut down a black locust and was processing blanks.

I'm certainly open to any other ideas as to how this occurred, and I may try some experiments to see if I can reproduce the color.
You might be onto an interesting process there! Is it green throughout? Perhaps the same process that causes hedge post to turn green under ground....

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
You might be onto an interesting process there! Is it green throughout? Perhaps the same process that causes hedge post to turn green under ground....
The piece was the cutoff from a bowl blank. Variable thickness in the original piece up to about an inch thick and green throughout.

I'm going to try some experiments and see what I can come up with. I still have a lot of wood from that tree, although it is much drier now.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I recalled you had cut the Black Locust and Mulberry about a year ago, and did those cool long bowls. But when I saw John posted 'Black Locus't in post 19 without a confirmation, Honey was the only other I thought of that you could get you hands on in your area. Then I realized there was another page and saw the black-light pic and knew only really 2 choices. I took the bait, nice quiz.
Had to use a tiny bit of misdirection to give everybody time to guess. Paul had it right away, so had to ignore his analysis and just say it wasn't "nope wood". I was getting ready to take and post the UV light picture right when John guessed correctly, so had to ignore his reply to see if the UV pic would be a help for others.

Gonzalodqa

Reaction score
First name
Gonzalo
That was fun i had no idea until the final reveal. The color was definitely a ghe most difficult factor to get.
how deep into the wood the staining goes?

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
That was fun i had no idea until the final reveal. The color was definitely a ghe most difficult factor to get.
how deep into the wood the staining goes?
The color went all the way through, but this was just a cut off from a bowl blank, so maximum thickness was only about an inch.