identifying origin of oak by dna

et1883

Reaction score
First name
Ernie
thought this may be of interest though it's a bit heady, a link to research to determine which continent any oak in question came from - a big issue for US importers. I don't think there's a home version, and it's not clear to me how easy this would be to use in-the-field, say at an entry port by customs. for my interest I just want to know that the oak is what it says it is on the bill of lading. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4924829/

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Very interesting, but i can see i need a much bigger dictionary!!! :scare3: and are some of those words permissable? :rulz::unknown:

et1883

Reaction score
First name
Ernie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
you and me both! I skipped to the conclusions part and "looked at" but didn't study the charts. Waiting to see the woodworkers' version at Home Depot, so I'll know for sure what I'm buying! :-)

Mr. Peet

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Very misleading. Not origin, but species. If I grow a 'Mongolian oak' in Portland Oregon, the test will point toward 'Mongolian oak' and imply China or Asiatic, not USA. But I follow the ideals behind the project. Thanks for the reading Ernie.

et1883

Reaction score
First name
Ernie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
great point, Mr. Peet, and thanks for the correction between "origin" and "species." (that said, I still can't find any to work with, regardless of origin. I'm intrigued by the grain structure which is said to be complex and more varied than white/red/other oaks in the USA.). Thanks again!