If someone wanted to start doing some stabilizing....

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Makes a mean turkey!! But, you don't want to use the same one for smoking and stabilizing. Better pick up two while they're cheap!! :lol2:

For that price, I should make a trip to Gainesville and grab one.

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The "Experiment" has officially begun.

Been in N FL for a few weeks and got home this afternoon.

Before I even unpacked the truck and boat, got my first drying batch on and cooking :)

Gonna try some of that spalted guanacaste

Got the tank setup and ready to go.

I'm dragn', fished the Bass Pro Red/Trout shootout Saturday and still haven't recuperated.

drying.jpg

setup.jpg

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Very cool!

Just to give you a warning/heads up since it's summer and you're in Florida - keep your Cactus Juice below 85F as indicated on the jug, otherwise you run the risk of it setting up on its own in the chamber. I've already seen a few reports this summer of people whose resin has set up while they left their chamber going under vacuum because their shop was too hot and the resin went off. Then you're out a chamber, the resin, and the wood.

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
That's probably going to be something I have yet figured out how to deal with, during stabilization. Shed opened up and a fan still prob +85. Looks like back to the graveyard shift. Thought I'd done my time on that 25 yrs ago :)

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I know some set their chamber in a cooler and fill with ice and water up to the level of the resin (and add ice as needed) or have some water bottles they freeze (and refreeze and reuse) just for the task to serve as the ice portion. Some will even then store their resin in jugs in a refrigerator in the shop so it doesn't get hot.

If I had my setup in the garage, it would be too warm in there as of late. I have my chambers set up in our basement (a luxury you probably don't have in FL) and cure it in the garage.

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
So sitn here watching the bubbles...I'm thinkn maybe a mini fridge.

By August it'll be 100 in the shop.

Good reason for insulation and climate control but the shop will be in N FL next year... hopefully!

No sense spending on it here.

Last edited:

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
So far so good, thanks to the Pro Staff on WB!

Pulled 9 hrs of full vacuum. This wood is very fibrous and porous. Bubbles barely a few trickles and a cooling storm moved in and I didn't want to chance a lightning strike interrupting power and killing the pump on full vacuum.

Sucked a full inch in when I dropped the vacuum.

Really pulls at 12ft elevation!

Gonna let it soak till tomorrow, then cook em.

Again, thanks to all for providing insight.

IMG_20180703_151529114.jpg

Last edited:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
So sitn here watching the bubbles...I'm thinkn maybe a mini fridge.

By August it'll be 100 in the shop.

Good reason for insulation and climate control but the shop will be in N FL next year... hopefully!

No sense spending on it here.

I have a mini fridge just for resin in the shop and nothing else.....:sofa::drinks3:

I also have AC in there and have my hose running through the wall so my pump is outside in the lean 2 and not being loud inside.

Beside the temp of resin the biggest thing I've noticed is temp of pump also when it's hot out.

I've since gone to doing almost all my stabilizing in the winter. With my pump being outside I couldn't barely touch it if I ran it right now. Winter it is warm too the touch and that's it.

Kinda sucks to have to buy all that resin and get stuff ready for winter to run but I can only imagine how much longer my pump will last not running crazy hot nor having to worry about the resin.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Temps in my shop hit 110 - 115o, fairly regular, like almost on a daily basis during summer. Have an attic vent fan in the eves, thermostat set at about 120o, and it's been running the last two afternoons when I walked in. Temps at ground level are like walking into an oven. I've never had a problem with resin setting up, in the jug, in the pot, under vacuum, open, not in no way shape, form, or fashion. Don't know why others experience the problem honestly, unless it is because they are doing prolonged runs with their pump, because I don't do that with my pump. I'm usually not in a hurry, if the stuff sits in the pot a week, 10 days, 2 months, so be it. I pull full vacuum on it, run it until it settles down, shut it off, and let it sit. Pull it down another time or two that day, pull it next morning, next evening, pull it every day for week, pull it just whenever I go to the shop, and let it sit under vacuum for days/weeks otherwise.

Where I think they get into trouble, if you read the instructions, it states that Cactus Juice boils at approximately 90o F. and in doing so, it may be generating heat/activating/whatever through prolonged boiling. I know if I try and run batches when it's hot in the shop; the stuff boils. It bubbles off the bottom of the plastic bowl where there's nothing there to give up air. Looks just like water boiling in a pot on the stove. And, it will bubble off the bowl for as long as you run your pump. Have frequently seen bubbles all over coming off the bowl, when none were really coming out of the wood.

However... should mine set up in the chamber, I'm out a chlorine tablet bucket, or a lunch meat container. One of the benefits of the 10 gallon chamber, and working with batches inside of it.

Might want to make a mental note of conditions each time you pull it Wayne, so if it does happen to set up, you don't do that again!

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
Well...they sure feel stabilized!

BLM burl and a pen blank cut in half of Guanacaste (ear pod)

And the first gallon is pretty much gone, this could turn into an expensive past time.

(6 blm pot call size, 3 spalted sycamore pot call size and a couple stopper size, 16 pen blanks.

blm2.jpg

blm3.jpg

Ear pod.jpg

Last edited:

Ray D

Reaction score
First name
Ray
Nice looking blm. I know nothing about stabilizing but I do turn a fair amount of pot calls. To save money, could you rough out the pots first before they go into the juice? Or would that be more trouble than it’s worth?

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Nice looking blm. I know nothing about stabilizing but I do turn a fair amount of pot calls. To save money, could you rough out the pots first before they go into the juice? Or would that be more trouble than it’s worth?

I round call blanks that take a ton of juice... I've found it highly worth my time. Doesn't give that nice look tho unless you spin em again if you're looking to resell. I turn mine mostly tho so dont care I can see em without being sanded nicely and wet.

FLQuacker

Reaction score
First name
Wayne
I'm sure I'll address that possibility down the road....now I'm just learning the stabilizing process.

For personal stuff, I can see the savings. But I've not seen too many round blanks for sale.

With the cost, some has to get sold :)

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
I'm sure I'll address that possibility down the road....now I'm just learning the stabilizing process.

For personal stuff, I can see the savings. But I've not seen too many round blanks for sale.

With the cost, some has to get sold :)

I actually know a guy in Nova Scotia who sells only round blanks for rod making and does very good at it... but as you said I haven't really seen it much either and I dont know why. If they still measure what ya need and who ever rounded them kept em consistent i dont see what the problem is.

The100road

Reaction score
First name
Stan
Turn a few and make sure they are solid then it’s time to sell a few to fund the hobby!