I'm either going to go bigger or I'm gonna sit in my corner sucking my thumb.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Ok, eventually, I'm gonna make me a BIG lathe - one that sits outside (don't have room inside) and can do Moulthrop sized pieces. But that is the more distant future. In the near future I want to do some deeper hollowing on my Nova. I don't have trouble doing 8" maybe more deep, but I want to go DEEP - say 18". The options, no surprise, make me a captured system, buy a captured system or buy a Clark system. Leaning toward a Clark System, probably, maybe, dunno. I seem to make a decision and by reading one more review or article, I change my mind. Don't really want to pay the $$$ for a Jamison or a One-way - but might be convinced some day. What say you? No real expectations except that it fit my lathe and can go deep safely, I have a number of hollowing tools, includeing Jordan's, but nothing for deep. Was set to buy a used Jamison last year at a decent price, but the seller was pretty flaky and fell through. I'd even consider a used set-up.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have considered making a hollowing rig, I have 3/4" bar stock. But to go that deep you would need 1" or larger I would think. If I ever get off my butt and build what I have in my mind I'll let you know how it works.

Last edited:

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yeah, I think the Clark basic can go 20" and has a 1.25" bar.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That makes sense, would be very heavy though.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I 'r a corntractor. What is weight to me - all ya gotta do is get a bigger crane!

Last edited:

Albert Kiebert

Reaction score
First name
Albert
That Clark system looks good. Should do what you are thinking of. Hope you have a good sized SteadyRest. That one Clark has cost as much as the Hollowing Sys.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Never could figure out that if it comes with the system or an extra. I know the fulcrum extension tube is.

Last edited:

Bean_counter

Reaction score
First name
Michael
Mike I got a steady rest a couple weeks ago From a guy on Etsy. He has them listed on eBay also but the shipping cost more. It’s a heck of steady rest and beats the manufactured ones in price. Let me know if you want the link and I can share it.

On a separate note I have the Jamieson for about 3 years and have used it zero times haha. I do plan on using it this year a lot more (1 time would be a lot more). This is the reason I bought the steady rest above because the goal is to go deep. I did buy a system from a guy here in woodbarter and I use it a bunch on my midi. It has given me good practice on what to expect with captured hollowing. I tried with handheld hollowing tools (John Jordan tools) and it was a beating. The captured system is so much easier and actually enjoyable compared to the hand held tools.

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
Mike, which Nova do you have?

I ask because I've got the 1624 and I find the depth of my hollowforms is limited by the simple arithemetic - 24" bed, minus 4 inches for the chuck, minus a few inches for where the captured bar is captured, and divide what's left by 2 because you need to be able to hollow near the mouth of the vessel as well as at the bottom.

One of these days I'm going to get a 20" bed extension ...

Also - @Bean_counter I'd like to know about the steady rest you bought please :cool:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
I have a Jamieson setup. The only thing I've used it on thus far is coffee mugs, which never has me more than 7" off the tool rest. But it's been great using it for that.

And, yeah, @Bean_counter - spill the beans on the steady rest you bought. (I've been thinking about getting one for a while...)

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Mike, which Nova do you have?

I ask because I've got the 1624 and I find the depth of my hollowforms is limited by the simple arithemetic - 24" bed, minus 4 inches for the chuck, minus a few inches for where the captured bar is captured, and divide what's left by 2 because you need to be able to hollow near the mouth of the vessel as well as at the bottom.

One of these days I'm going to get a 20" bed extension ...

Also - @Bean_counter I'd like to know about the steady rest you bought please :cool:
It's the older 1624 that is not digital - as in belt changes needed. Yep, I'm getting an extension very soon anyways. Have a project for my wife, not hollowed, that I will need more length on. And was doing some of the dimension math also. However, my problem is that If I get a 4' boring bar, etc.... with my current layout, I won't have room to manuver.

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
It's the older 1624 that is not digital - as in belt changes needed. Yep, I'm getting an extension very soon anyways. Have a project for my wife, not hollowed, that I will need more length on. And was doing some of the dimension math also. However, my problem is that If I get a 4' boring bar, etc.... with my current layout, I won't have room to manuver.

I have the same old 1624 - but I retro-fitted the digital motor to it, not a cheap upgrade but I'm never going back.

About a month ago I saw Nova were clearing stock of the hinge swing gate at a very attractive price, so I bought one ready for when I get the extension.

Changing the layout of the workspace is an opportunity to find all those things that rolled under a cabinet, I try to do it every other year :lol2:

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Well.... if you can make yourself a big lathe, surely you can make yourself a big hollowing rig :sofa: Never heard of the Clark system, looks pretty slick, I'm skeptical of the 20" depth claim though, you might be able to insert the cutter 20 inches, but having control, and no chatter, is another matter. For a standard Jamison style rig, a foot is about as deep as you can go in my experience...

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I have the same old 1624 - but I retro-fitted the digital motor to it, not a cheap upgrade but I'm never going back.

About a month ago I saw Nova were clearing stock of the hinge swing gate at a very attractive price, so I bought one ready for when I get the extension.

Changing the layout of the workspace is an opportunity to find all those things that rolled under a cabinet, I try to do it every other year :lol2:
Yeh, I think the upgrades are about what I paid for the lathe new years and years ago! I've got a controller that I can get my BIL to modify to use, if I can find a motor that is wired correctly. He has not told me what to look for yet.

You change the layout every other year? My wife has a masters of psychology and she might, perhaps call that A.R. Every 10 to 20 years is good enough for me.

Mike Hill

Board Whoarder
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Well.... if you can make yourself a big lathe, surely you can make yourself a big hollowing rig :sofa: Never heard of the Clark system, looks pretty slick, I'm skeptical of the 20" depth claim though, you might be able to insert the cutter 20 inches, but having control, and no chatter, is another matter. For a standard Jamison style rig, a foot is about as deep as you can go in my experience...
That is the idea. Just trying to get ideas if anybody knew about it. In theory, relatively easy to make one like the Clark - just big steel!

duncsuss

Reaction score
First name
Duncan
You change the layout every other year? My wife has a masters of psychology and she might, perhaps call that A.R. Every 10 to 20 years is good enough for me.
It doesn't get any tidier - just rearranged so I can pack more stuff in. It's a bit like playing Tetris, making all the parts fit together tighter.