Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

In search of advice

Discussion in 'Carving Forum: Hand, Power, & Chainsaw Carving' started by David Van Asperen, Nov 30, 2017.

1. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    David
    My 13 year old grandson want to start whittling and has asked me for advice on the right tools for him.
    Rhett lives in Grapevine Texas and I live in Huron South Dakota so this is a text and phone conversation taking place. I have no real experience in this area and only a little information as to what he is wanting to do and hope to create but , am quite excited that he is wanting to do some wood working.
    I will hopefully be talking with him tomorrow( Nov 30 ) to try and get some idea of where he want s to go.
    The first thing I am going to suggest to Rhett is that he get hooked up with Wood Barter so that he can get some real advice from you members that have and or still doing whittling or hand carving.
    Thanks in advance for the assistance and guidance of a new wood worker.
    I have looked at a few carving jack knives and some beginner carving/whittling books but not much beyond that.
    What support equipment for safety and sharpening are needed?
    Best learning projects for skill and confidence building
    Hell I need help with it all
    Dave

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  2. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    David, if he joins up, I have a book on whittling for beginners I will send him....

• Way Cool Way Cool x 2
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. David Van Asperen

First name:
    David
  4. Mike Hill

Mike Hill The Bard of Barbecue Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Thumbguards

5. spaz

spaz Member Full Member

First name:
    Marty
    I teach kids, scouts, and parents to carve. Help kids get their whittling patch. Get a glove. Good habit, I wear one. And sorry folks, I have not cut myself carving.
    For $20.00 a kevlar glove can really help out a beginner. You can also use a good garden glove if funds are an issue. And yes, Mike it right on thumb guards. Or, go out to Rural King and get a animal wrap tape--much cheaper.
    I just stick with a basic knife. Still do. Just a Flexcut detail knife. I like the handle on it. The knife is around $25.00. A leather strop kit as well for someone starting.
    Whittling has been best described as not making anything in particular, where carving is having a plan. Does he have a plan? Let me look later for the basic owl and maybe I can scan it or snap a photo for you if you like.
    Best wishes, and feel free to ask me anything!

6. David Van Asperen

First name:
    David
    Thanks for the insight guys you always give me good advice and guidance. I need to talk with Rhett again to find out just where he is on this.
    I know that school ,football ,and band have got this young man quite busy.
    I am still excited that Rhett has interest in wood working and he did join Wood Barter but not sure of his commitment to it either.
    Hope all have a Merry Christmas
    Dave

7. Mike Mills

Mike Mills Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    My only experience is with chip carving but it can be fun. Mainly to add decoration to an item but the patterns are endless. I do not know what you make but it is possible for you to make an item (box, platter) and have him add the carving.
    Chip carving is not for carving a wolf, bear, etc.
    Wayne Barton is one of the old masters and he has some videos on youtube. You can scan down this listing to see if it is anything he may be interested in.
    It only takes two knives.
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chip+carving+

8. greenmtnguy

greenmtnguy Member Full Member

First name:
    Alton
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Tony Pisano

Tony Pisano Member Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Agree with protection and strop. With a 2 pc of leather and a couple of grits of compound, you can keep a carving knife super sharp with a few strokes now and then. Also basic safety info like using a thumb as a pivot for blade control. My first project was a scandinavian santa and I used an exacto knife because that was all I had, but it was enough to get me interested and I bought Ron Ransom's book and eventually made my own knife and bought some gouges.

10. Don Ratcliff

Don Ratcliff Woodless Full Member

First name:
    Don
    Send him a foredom, it has a video on how to carve ducks, rabbits and fish. Once he gets the hang of it the ideas are endless. It will take an investment up front but it is fun and if it gets him into wood working he will use it for years and remember where he got it. If my grandson wants to do wood when has old enough this would be the first thing I get him. Along with an apron and some PPE. Frankly I think it's a bit safer than chisels or knives. It can make you bleed but won't slice to bone and you don't need to sharpen it.

Congratulations on having such an interesting grandson, I would be so proud if mine asked me about wood.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2018
  11. David Van Asperen

First name:
    David
    @Tony Pisano
    @Don Ratcliff
    Thanks for the input. I need to check with Rhett ( it has been a bit ) to see how things are going.. Tony I agree that safety is important and very may be largely over looked by many. I am searching for a pocket knife that belonged to my father ( he passed away 4 1/2 years ago ) I think Rhett would like to have and use that knife even though it is not the most ideal for that purpose.
    Don, that is a marvelous idea as well, again I need to see how things are progressing , to also judge if Rhett is wanting to expand in that direction. I checked into the Foredom and it runs a little over $300 but, you opened my eyes to another possibility until and if the Foredom happens. My father had given me a dremel, I already have one so the one my Dad gave me has seen very little ( not sure but think I wanted to keep it good forever ). I am most confident that Great Grandpa Hank would be thrilled if Rhett would wear it out. Thanks again for taking the blinders off so I could see what I already have.
    Wood Barter members are the best!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Dave

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  12. Don Ratcliff

First name:
    Don
    I think I have the foredom video, if he is interested I could send it.

:good2:

13. David Van Asperen

First name:
    David
    Don I will let you know , got to try to catch him on the weekend , school stuff and all
    Thanks
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
  14. Don Ratcliff

First name:
    Don
    I also have the PSI video on how to make pens. (I got it for @Tony but he had Michael show him) I could include that as well once you find out.

15. David Van Asperen

First name:
    David
    • Sincere Sincere x 1
  16. Don Ratcliff

First name:
    Don
    Lots of folks came through for me when I asked for assistance for my friend in Kuwait, this does not even scratch the surface of what I owe the community. (figuratively) :wacko:

• Like Like x 1
  17. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    Does he have Carving Gloves yet David? For what they cost, it's cheap insurance for someone just starting.

18. David Van Asperen

First name:
    David
    @rocky1 i believe so but I will check with him. Thanks for the insight and concern.
    Dave

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 4:07 AM