Indian Almond

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
I started milling up some of the more interesting looking pieces of Indian Almond I picked up from the trees recently felled around my property. I sealed them up right away since they seem to attract borer insects immediately. I have to admit, it is seriously strange looking wood. It smells just like a guava when you cut it too. Not guava wood, guava fruit. I was surprised it also seemed much harder than I initially anticipated. We'll see how it seasons over the next few months, but so far it looks to be a fun project in the future.

DSC_0211.JPG

DSC_0213.JPG

DSC_0178.JPG

DSC_0180.JPG

DSC_0181.JPG

DSC_0182.JPG

DSC_0183.JPG

DSC_0184.JPG

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That is some beautiful wood. It'll be interesting to see what you make with it.
Well, I won't be making anything out of it. I'm not a wood turner myself. Someone eventually will though and I will asking for lots of pictures of whatever they make when they do.

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
Neat looking wood!
How about some pics of the table/bench underneath! Is it made from Walnut? :drool:

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
No, that's acacia confusa. Much more beautiful than walnut in my opinion and a he'll of a lot better to finish. Turns out like glass. I can post pics. My friends work. He does all kinds of tables and benches using Taiwanese wood

Neat looking wood!
How about some pics of the table/bench underneath! Is it made from Walnut? :drool:

Byron Barker

Reaction score
First name
Byron
Neat looking wood!
Here are some of the pics of his stuff I had on my phone. I'll get pics of the benches later. My friend's name is Tim Ho. He is the resident framer at the Venus Art Gallery in Hualien Harbour. He has a massive wood shop and lets me use it whenever I want. Good guy and been one of my best mates for over a decade. This table is made from Taiwanese Zelkova I believe. It is either Zelkova or Beech one way or the other. The Chinese name I mix up between a few species. He got these piece from another local woodworker. The wood was checked badly, but looked so unique he just patched it with butterflies and made a very unique table set. Love it. I secretly hope he'll work out a trade with me for them when it is done on display.

DSC_0125.JPG

DSC_0126.JPG

DSC_0127.JPG

DSC_0129.JPG

DSC_0133.JPG