Inside-Out Challenge

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Let the fun begin!

Project: Any object turned using the "inside-out" process where pieces of wood are held together, turned, the pieces are then reversed, glued together and final turned.

Wood: Anything you want!

Requirements: Must use a minimum of three pieces of wood. That's it, no more requirements. Any size, as many or as few species of wood as you want, can be a vase, an ornament, a bauble, a necklace, an earing, or anything else you can come up with.

Deadline: Sunday, June 28, 8:00pm CST. Post pictures of your entry in this thread. Voting will close on June 30, 8:00pm CST.

Example: Here is a picture of an ornament I made a couple of years ago using the inside out process. Walnut and cherry using dimensional lumber for the staves.

ornament4.jpg

Note, I will not be making an ornament for my entry, that would be unfair. I plan on trying something completely new to me, although I don't know what yet. I will also post some links in the next day or two for those who may be unfamiliar with the inside-out process. My hope is this challenge will promote some good discussion on method and design. If others have links or examples, please share.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Awesome Tim, I've been meaning to try this out. I'm throwing in to do this and promise to make something extraordinarily mediocre.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before I got a lathe and started turning, I saw an inside out ornament at a craft fair, and was fascinated by it. The design was a Christmas tree in the negative.

When I got a lathe, I was going to imitate that design no matter what. I eventually got it right, but it took me about 15 tries before I got a design and remembered to document it so I could reproduce it. Here are a couple of process pictures of that design. I keep these pieces of wood laying around so I can show people how it is done. Unfortunately, my pictures of the completed ornaments are on another computer, so they'll be posted later. At the conclusion of this challenge, I'll also put together a tutorial (with measurements) of the Christmas tree ornament if anyone wants to try one.

Here is how the ornament looks after the first turning.

20191102_130636.jpg

The pieces after breaking them apart.

20191102_130652.jpg

Arrangement ready for final turning.

20191102_130743.jpg

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
No clue what an inside-out turing is or where to even begin! But since I started this thing I'm in no matter what. YouTube here I come! :help:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I'm glad to hear this will be new for so many. I searched here and only found a couple of mentions of i/o turning from several years ago, so hoped it would be a learning experience for most.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
I made an ornament (maybe 2) years ago...may have to think a bit on something appropriate for this one! :coffeenews:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Anybody make any progress on the challenge?

This evening, I cut up a few pieces for a proof of concept trial. All I've got to say is I can cut pieces at 90° a lot better than I can at 72°/108°.