Investigating shipping, will post info as I get it.

Daniel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

I've been reading through the shipping threads (given that I hope to be shipping some wood sooner rather than later), and have absorbed the potential for massive incurred and unexpected costs... this is not a huge surprise to me, given that my parents have been operating a factory out of their home for many years now: http://www.gothictile.com/ .

They ship out pretty big tile and furniture jobs, and receive massive loads of raw material (biggest stuff is several full pallets of raw clay)...

As such, I am working with my step-mom (the ceramicist among us, who deals with the shipping company on a regular basis) to work out the cheapest possible way to ship heavy, weird-shaped loads such as lumber slabs and so forth.

As I get information, I will post it here. Initial conversation indicate that repeat customer, bulk/volume discounts with Con-Way can lead to significant savings. What is unclear is if there is a set pathway toward receiving those discounts or not. They've worked with and continue to work with UPS, Fed-Ex, Con-Way and other National/International companies, and so have some valuable experience. Step-mom seems to think that Con-Way may be the best possible venue....

I will update this thread as I receive more info.

Cheers

Dan

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Dan,

I love the work your parents do. They're so talented. I started to import one of the floors to show here but I liked so many I couldn't decide which to show.

You have some cool parents! :good2:

I've not used Conway, but one thing about shippers is, most seem to focus on certain routes more than others, and shipping along those routes will be more economical if both the shipper and consignee are close to one of those routes.

That's not all companies obviously. Wouldn't it be cool if there were a source which could show you which shipper would be the most competitive for your type of shipment and your destination? That's how the online freight brokers got so big. But as I've mentioned in other threads, there's some things to watch out for when using brokers.

Thanks for the post & keep us updated.

Daniel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Kevin,

First: Thanks! They really are very cool, and they send their appreciation and good wishes!

Second: I just got some words of wisdom from Barbara (stepmom):

1) Con-Way rates are based on weight and source/destination zip code.

2) They offer Company discounts for volume shippers - she gets nearly 60% discount. Calling out of the blue is HUGELY expensive.

3) Weight/Distance/Route costs are modified by the merchandise code or merchandise class (see here for "National Motor Freight Classification" http://www.nmfta.org/pages/nmfc.aspx ). That classification is based on Density.

The denser the shipment, the lower the class. Here is a list of classes:

<12 lbs per cu. ft. = class 100. nmfc = 112870-1
12 to <30 lbs per cu. ft. = class 70. nmfc = 112870-2
30 or more lbs per cu. ft. = 55. nmfc = 112870-3

Here is a table of wood densities for use in calculating shipping class:

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/wood-density-d_40.html

4) Add-ons like: Having the trucker call before arrival, using lift gate or pallet jack, extra shrink wrapping or packaging, and so on... those can run 50 bucks or more (each!!??).

Long story short: She was quoted 395.00 for shipping class 100 (ceramics), 100 pounds with no extra services on the loading end. With the pallet jack and lift gate that was used on the unloading end, she wound up paying a total price of about 205.00 (that's with her bulk discount of 60% because she uses Con-Way a LOT). List price for that 100-pound shipment with all bells and whistles was about 420.00 dollars.

Lesson for us: Shipping is expensive!

Possible work-around: If there is enough volume being moved around among the present and future members of the site, and we can justify/guarantee a certain amount of freight over any given month, we could form a collective of some kind and gain a bulk/group/company discount on shipping. Either that, or if one or more of us is already incorporated and already has access to that kind of discount, others could use it...

I have no idea about the functional logistics, legalities, liabilities, and other potentially nasty pitfalls of trying to do something like that... but other than biting the bullet and taking big hits to the pocketbook, that seems to be the only option.

Cheers

Dan

Daniel

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've gone through the rate quote calculator at Con-Way and have come up with some ballpark figures:

Freight Class 55 (denser than 30 lbs/ft3), 600 pounds delivered from Central Maine to Central NY is about 600 dollars full cost.

Company discount makes it 354 dollars.

That's without any special services. Add 200$ (OMG!!) for liftgate service at both ends of the deal.

Other quotes through an online broker range from 190 dollars to 1500 dollars (GAH!) depending on company, services, time, and etc.

What costs have others experienced?

Reaction score
This is my 1st entry with WB.com.Ive had a small sawmill buisness in south La. for 20 years. Ive never shipped anything out of state,but im ready to sell some nice wood...cypress sinker mostly,but i also have spaulted magnolia,sinker red gum,elm,sycamore.I want to ship say 1000 bf or less to L.A. or anywhere to buyers.Any kind of truck service seems expensive w too many hidden cost. What about rail? Dont know but isnt that the cheapest way to ship? Any input would be appreciated.

Lamar

firemedic

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Jean
Joe Rebuild said:
Lamar Schexnaydre said:
This is my 1st entry with WB.com.Ive had a small sawmill buisness in south La. for 20 years. Ive never shipped anything out of state,but im ready to sell some nice wood...cypress sinker mostly,but i also have spaulted magnolia,sinker red gum,elm,sycamore.I want to ship say 1000 bf or less to L.A. or anywhere to buyers.Any kind of truck service seems expensive w too many hidden cost. What about rail? Dont know but isnt that the cheapest way to ship? Any input would be appreciated.

Lamar

I cant answer your question but I sure would like to see some pics of your wood.:good:

Joe, Lamar is the Sawyer I buy from. Great guy! All of the cypress in my posted projects on the 'other' forum has been from him. Also you can see the splated Magnolia over there on my 'spalted magnolia score' thread.