Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Ipe? Sold to me as Bolivian Rosewood.

Discussion in 'Wood Identification & Characteristics of Wood' started by Lincoln Erickson, Dec 4, 2019 at 2:02 PM.

1. Lincoln Erickson

Lincoln Erickson Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Lincoln
    I was sold some timber as Bolivian Rosewood but I think it is actually Ipe. I weighed a sample against some Jatoba and the mystery timber was 5oz and my Jatoba sample was 4.7 oz.

The lumber is 11 ft long and very straight grained. It doesn't flouresce nor does the dust in a test tube.

It is very dense and hard to cut like the Jatoba. I think that rules out any of the Mohognay species.

I got a good price so even if it turns out to be Ipe I am not upset.

IMG_20191204_123605.jpg

IMG_20191203_172458.jpg

IMG_20191203_172447.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  2. phinds

phinds Moderator Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Paul
    100% NOT Bolivian rosewood & nothing you show looks like ipe. Face grain is too coarse and the wrong color and the end grain shows pore strands (ipe is random pore distribution).

That end grain shot is good but to really tell anything I need a wider field of view and I have to know the size of the wood in the image. That is, is that circle 1/10" of wood, 1/2" of wood, what?

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019 at 2:35 PM
  3. Lincoln Erickson

First name:
    Lincoln
    The circle is a magnifier for my phone camera. It is about .25 of an inch.

I am not great at smelling but i could not smell anything when I cut it as I can with the Jatoba.

Do you want a wider magnifies picture? I can try and pick up a magnifying glass of some type

4. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Yes, I would need a wider field of view to get any further. If by magnifying glass you mean something several inches across, that won't do it. They are typically about 3X and that's not much help, although perhaps you can get some combination of magnifying glass, camera and camera magnifier to give a useful image. You can also just send me a cutoff and I'll process it.

5. Lincoln Erickson

First name:
    Lincoln
    I can send you a piece. I am not in a hurry. I have a slice about 4 x 1 x 1 with the long part being endgrain.

6. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    that won't work. I need something at least 4" long along the grain and 2" wide across the end grain, and at least 1/2" thick. A bit bigger than that is preferable.

7. Lincoln Erickson

First name:
    Lincoln
    I can get that cut tonight. I am out of town till Tuesday but I can ship it next Wednesday. Would you PM me the address to ship it to?

8. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    You have to do one more post before PM'ing opens up to you.

9. Lincoln Erickson

First name:
    Lincoln
    Thanks so much for your help.

10. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Hm ... that's odd. You now have 5 messages but PM still doesn't show up for you. Maybe the server takes a while to catch up.

11. phinds

First name:
    Paul
    Done. No hurry, but please make sure to include a note referencing this thread.

12. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Lincoln, I have closed this thread for now. Please take a minute to review our rules and then make an Introduction post. Thanks, Tony

13. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    It is now opened....

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
Current Time: 1:09 AM