is it still a sin

Arn213

craM de la craM # RipJack City!
Reaction score
First name
Arn
In your situation- NO. You have clear intention, you need it and you are working with what is available to you. Now, it would be a different story if you cut that 16” wide board so you can rip it to little pieces to make little individual things- I will not name the trades otherwise I will be “tarred and feathered”. Little blanks should come off left overs from a bigger piece.

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
it is about production. i prefer to pen blanks or knife blanks out of bigger pieces, time is my most precious commodity. you do understand these 16" boards do not exist without pics...

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
To be honest, I'm at the point of asking myself a similar question. I have a number of 20" to 24" wide 4/4 maple boards. My planer only has a 13" capacity. I've used up almost all the narrower boards from that particular stash of maple. So I'm looking at having to eventually start cutting them down. But, at the same time, how many projects have I built, or am I planning to build, where I need, or could use, a wide board? Unless we have a large enough jointer and planer, realistically it's going to make more sense for us to process narrower pieces and do glue-ups for panels.

I do have a single 16" wide board of walnut that I am going to make into a table someday. I'd have a really hard time cutting it down for other projects. But I've set aside that board because I have a specific plan for it that makes use of that width (and it's already been planned, so I don't have to figure out how I'm going to accomplish that.)

But, at the same time, sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Especially in your case, running a business. Does it make better sense from a business/financial/time/etc. standpoint to use what you have on hand or to go out and source more material?

For most of us, as hobbyists, cutting that 16" board up would be a thought we wouldn't even entertain. And we'd probably go out and pick up a few more boards for our project to save that one special piece.

But, unless you have a specific need for a 16" wide walnut board, saving those boards and sourcing new material, probably doesn't make sense from a business standpoint.

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Just do it because those baskets are worth it. There’s always more trees to get wood 16” across including walnut.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I have a garage full of wide boards, when I need it I use it as necessary, cut em up. I'll make more, lol.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
If it's only 4/4" thick, I personally think it's a sin to use any solid wood that wide as a finished piece. It has a tendency to warp, cup, twist, and split years later. Therefore, I cut any 4/4 stuff to smaller widths to accomodate the surface I'm making. I'll get my width, divide by x number of pieces needed, cut them, drill for dowels and then make that 16" wide piece of board I just ripped. They don't twist because stress factors have been relieved. .............. Jerry (in Tucson)

cionow777

Reaction score
First name
Kevin
I think that I am on reasonably solid ground to point out that this act would not be considered a sin. I know of no religion by name that would prohibit the cutting of larger planks of wood into small planks of wood. That said, many might consider it a "crime".

But I agree with others above that it is really more of the perspective of "intention". If you intended to go out and purchase a 16" wide board to make pens out of then many people might consider that a violation of something holy. If all you have is that 16" board and you need to make a living, gift, etc. and can't get anything else to fit the bill then by all means use what's available.

As way of an example. If I went out and bought a filet mignon to bring home specifically to cut into small little pieces to put into my chili then many people would consider that a "crime". But if all I had was that filet mignon and I needed to feed a large group of people then I would probably be forgiven for using what I had to make the best of the situation.

Its just perspective and yours is the only one that counts in this situation. We are not in your shoes.

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OK pics
I did rip down half of a 12 footer
IMG_0871.JPG
Still have couple left but the ones on top are 18 and 20 wide. theyre safe for now

IMG_0873.JPG

but I will have serious problems cutting down my 30 wide walnut board. Its kinda safe since it has 3-400 bd ft of 8/4 stock on it

IMG_0874.JPG

2feathers Creative Making

Reaction score
First name
Frank
OK pics
View attachment 211010
Still have couple left but the ones on top are 18 and 20 wide. theyre safe for now

View attachment 211011

but I will have serious problems cutting down my 30 wide walnut board. Its kinda safe since it has 3-400 bd ft of 8/4 stock on it

View attachment 211012
:drool: :scare2::punish::ohno:
That being said... carry on. I hope to make a few primitive reproductions when my shop gets up and running. I have kept a few 16 wide cherry and poplar and chestnut for those projects. But while building my shop I will likely violate several sensibilities by cutting a few of my older non selling live edge slabs into framing for my shop.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I will certainly never call it a sin. Everyone here knows I rip most of my flat stock sown into 1" and 2" pieces for my cutting boards. Your baskets are works of art and whatever material you use will be better for it.

pvwoodcrafts

Reaction score
First name
Mike
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I will certainly never call it a sin. Everyone here knows I rip most of my flat stock sown into 1" and 2" pieces for my cutting boards. Your baskets are works of art and whatever material you use will be better for it.
OK guys thanks. Guess I shouldn't feel so bad ripping up wide stock , just 30 years of buying lumber I know how hard it is to come across the really nice wide ones

djg

Reaction score
First name
Dan
OK pics
View attachment 211010
Oh the Horror! Pics like that should be banned from public view!

Not really. The board you ripped wasn't as nice as I thought it would be. I wasn't familiar with your baskets so I had to look them up. WOW! Beautiful baskets. Wish I had the talent like that.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Unless you yourself will actually have a use for a board that wide, Rip away. I just picked up some 18-24 wide white oak, guys widow said he never cut it up because he couldn't find a project for it. By the time he passed, it had sat in an unheated shed for 20 years, warped and twisted and is covered in mouse urine. Of course since it was already planed to 3/4, to use it it'll have to go down to something less than that and it'll have to get planed in shorter sections due to the warp/twist. So either use it up or pass it on to someone else in trade for narrower boards. Sitting on it makes no profit and in the long run may make them worth a lot less.