Self proclaimed expert of nothing
Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
Exactly one year ago today, I was lying in a hospital bed, recovering from the procedure that cleared a 90% blockage to the main artery of my heart.
The formula over the past year is as follows.......
1 total diet change + 1 year of hard work - 62 pounds + the desire to never be on an operating table again = one heart healthy guy.
I'm looking forward to seeing what the next year has to offer and I'm glad that I'm still around to be a pain in your butts.
side by side.jpg

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I'm proud of you my brother, and even more happy that you are still with us.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
That is truly good news Ken. Glad it it is going well for you. Keep it up....we need you around here. And not just to be a pain in the butt....

I cant tell how much 62 pounds is....can you hold up a lighter for scale in an after picture?

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
You have a lot more models to build young man. I not going to compare you to a horse, but you look Healthy!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
All kidding aside, you know we are all happy you're still around! Both your woodworking and healthy ways are an inspiration to us! Tony

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Those are the kind of anniversary announcements we like to hear!! Looking great Ken!!

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
What happened to you is exactly why I made changes in my life too Ken. It is also why Kevin encouraged me to start a thread on it. My weight loss is not as dramatic, only 35 lbs, but my physical fitness has drastically improved and my diet changes are a normal way of life for me now. I'm down 6 notches on my belt and three pant sizes. Still have a belly but it is much smaller now, I've always had a belly, it may never go away entirely lol. But as long as my weight is down and my fitness is up that's all good.

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
You sir are an inspiration to us all (perhaps not the 12 pirate ear rings but inspiring nonetheless) Congratulations on your life changes and I for one and happy to have you to around.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
All dressed up to go muddin!! Dammitt Man!!

Glad you decided to stick around Ken, but you didn't have to rent a suit to announce it. You could have told us in jeans and a T-shirt, we wouldn't have minded.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Congrats! We need you to stay healthy and keep making awesome woodworking projects! Now we have double the inspiration! Chuck

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What happened to you is exactly why I made changes in my life too Ken. It is also why Kevin encouraged me to start a thread on it. My weight loss is not as dramatic, only 35 lbs, but my physical fitness has drastically improved and my diet changes are a normal way of life for me now. I'm down 6 notches on my belt and three pant sizes. Still have a belly but it is much smaller now, I've always had a belly, it may never go away entirely lol. But as long as my weight is down and my fitness is up that's all good.

The funny this about the weight loss is that I didn't really try to lose weight. I completely rearranged the things that I eat and added a daily exercise routine and the pounds started falling off. I didn't count calories and I eat whenever I want....I am just more selective of what I eat. They told me at the hospital that eventually, my weight would find it's happy place and it would level out and it did that. Everyone keeps asking me what the secret is to the weight loss and there is no secret. I started exercising and COMPLETELY CHANGED THE WAY I EAT!!!! That's the part that people aren't willing to do and that is why everyone thinks weight loss is so difficult. But then again, it's different for everyone.

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken
All dressed up to go muddin!! Dammitt Man!!

Glad you decided to stick around Ken, but you didn't have to rent a suit to announce it. You could have told us in jeans and a T-shirt, we wouldn't have minded.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. I don't rent anything. Truth be told, I was out buying a new suit for my daughter's upcoming wedding (due to the weight loss, I don't own a suit that fits any longer) and my wife took a picture. This just happens to be the most recent picture of me.

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
Fantastic! Congratulations on feeling better!

When you say you overhauled the way you eat, what do you mean? Specifically, what changes did you make?

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc

When you say you overhauled the way you eat, what do you mean? Specifically, what changes did you make?

The old chew without swallowing method......

:popcorn:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
The old chew without swallowing method......

:popcorn:

I figured he turned some highly accurate scale model plates about the size of that famous Canadian blue lighter...

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Anniversary story for you, just because you can relate...

Way back many many years ago, before roto-rooter jobs, stints, and miracle drugs my granpa was going for his second or third by-pass surgery. Surgeon came in looked at his chart and said, "I see here that you used to drink quite a bit Mr. Thomas."

Grandpa acknowledged that, yes he had for many years, drank extensively.

The surgeon said, "You should have kept drinking, you wouldn't have all these problems today."

Granpa, a little confused, asked, "I wouldn't?"

Surgeon said, "No... you'd have been dead 20 years ago!"

At which point granpa, kinda turned into @Mike1950 !

He told us later, "I'm laying there facing a life and death procedure, and I got some smart-aleck young surgeon in there cracking jokes. If I had been in better shape I'd have got up and whipped his ass!"

Last edited:

Kenbo

Staff member
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Ken

Basically, I limited my daily salt intake to 1500 mg per day. Harder to do than most people realize.
I cut out fats. That means no deep fried foods, or oils etc. The fat contents has to be 5% or less of my daily limit.
I greatly reduced caffeine to only having one coffee a day.
I cut out sugars (which I never really ate much of anyway)
I added more fruits and more vegetables.
I have limited my red meat intake (and by that I mean anything with four legs) to only having it once a month.
I have also cut my cholesterol intake.
The biggest changes are the fats, sugars and salt but the problem is that any food that has had some form of processing is loaded with these things. If the fat is low, the sugar and salt are high. If the sugar is low, then the fat and salt are high and if the salt is low then they pump up the fat and sugar content. All of my food is bought fresh now and prepared at home so that I know exactly what amounts I am getting of the different items. Salt...etc
Any food that I used to eat was no longer allowed so I had to come up with all new things to eat and it took a while to get used to it and I had to wrap my head around trying things that I would have never tried normally.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
That is similar to what changes that I have made. The difference is I did not cut fats but changed what kind of fats I eat, you need fats in your diet and some cholesterol too, but the right kind. My diet is very simple, lots of fruits and vegetables, chicken, fish, eggs and red meat once a week because an older man needs it to keep his testosterone levels up. And virgin coconut oil has also been introduced into my diet. Now here is the kicker, no white flour of any kind ever! Butter is ok in small amounts, not 12 pats a day! No soy, no margarine or fake crap. Cheese in moderation, dairy too. Avacados and almonds are sources of good fats too. I cut carbs by eliminating flour and sugar, raw honey is the exception. Nothing packaged or processed, just real food. I too do not count calories, just eat clean and sensible. I have actually had to start using a little salt because if you stop eating packaged processed foods you won't be getting any salt or potassium, the problem with that was I started to get pretty severe muscle cramps, just a little salt a couple times a week fixed that. Research has also shown that a diet low in all fats leads to dimensia or Alzheimers, your brain needs good fats to function. In my opinion people get too hung up on cutting fats and they eliminate the good fats that your body needs. My body now runs on fat for energy, not carbs. Excersize is also a huge key to this whole equation. I don't want to be a slave to the gym and you don't have too, 20 to 30 minutes a day is all it takes, but make it good high quality excersize that will get the heart rate up. I have cut way back on protein supplements, however they did help with muscle recovery when I first started working out. Now a protein shake is just a treat or a quick meal if I'm pressed for time. My bmi has gone from 32 to just over 26 and is still falling, I'm still loosing body fat nice and slow but weight is stable, I'm replacing fat with lean muscle, not like a body builder, but in a healthy overall fitness kind of way. I have strengthened my core and my joints. I don't obsess over the whole thing, I just eat clean and excersize, simple. So some of my diet changes are a little different than yours Ken but very similar. My diet is kind of a blend of paleo and ketogenic, but basicly it is just clean food with the right kinds of fats. And excersize! High intensity, high reps with moderate weights, get the heart rate up, burst training means get the heart rate up, let it come back down and then do it again, over and over. Do 50 push ups and let me know what that does to your heart rate? lol.
Look, there is no absolute right way to do what Ken and myself has done for ourselves. Ken made changes because he had a scare and almost died. I look at myself in a picture one day and said if I don't make changes I'm gonna die! I was a prime candidate for a heart attack. So Ken and I have made some similar changes in our diets and lifestyles, both of us are doing better, my weight loss has been gradual and slower, Ken's is much more dramatic and happened quicker. But the end results are pretty much the same. I cannot eliminate all fats from my diet or I'll have skin problems and my mind and nerves won't function properly. But we both feel so much better and are way healthier. I am still working on myself and strive to get my bmi lower and my percentage of bodyfat down still more. But I don't obsess over it. People this should be easy and natural...........