Jarrah bowl

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Good morning y'all, OK, here's the bowl from the Jarrah blank I bought from @NYWoodturner during the recent auction. I decided to post it on here so all you ruthless ^!@$!^#('s. could tear it apart. So have at it.
For whatever it's worth, the dimensions are 19 3/4" long, 14 1/8 wide, 3" (+ -) deep. I thought some of the manzanita that I bought from @rockb was difficult to turn, but this has been the toughest up to this point.
It may or may not be for sale, depending on what Mrs. Cook says..

Please be gentle when yer chewing it apart.....

Larry 06-DSCN2885.JPG 07-DSCN2886.JPG 07-DSCN2886.JPG 08-DSCN2887.JPG 10-DSCN2889.JPG

NYWoodturner

Wood Spinner
Reaction score
First name
Scott
Looks good Larry! What di you end up using for a finish? Nice job getting it to that wall thickness - especially outboard. That took a lot of focus and determination :good2:

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Nice work!! Extraordinary piece of wood!
Only criticisms are the tool marks dead center & the ring about an inch out from center. & in photos 2, 3, & 4, the tool mark arcing around 1" from the right unnatural edge. If you take a half hour & hand sand them out & refinish the bowl I'm sure you won't sell it because lady Cook will confiscate it!
Also photo 2 & 3 the bowl sides flows up & outward like a splash from throwing a stone in a pond :good2:, then the right side arcs back up 1" from the edge which look a bit out of place.

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looks good Larry! What di you end up using for a finish? Nice job getting it to that wall thickness - especially outboard. That took a lot of focus and determination :good2:

To start with, I sanded, (power sanded) from 80 grit, up to 800 grit, using Abranet 5" discs, the 0000 steel wool. Then as a sealer, I used Minwax satin brushing lacquer, thinned half and half with lacquer thinner, I applied 2 coats, and let dry over nite. This morning, I sanded again, starting with 600 grit, up to 800 grit, then steel wool, and a newsprint rub down. Then used 2 coats of a "rattle can" high solids lacquer, let it dry for 3 hours or so, then another newsprint rub down, and let dry for a couple more hours.
After that a coat of a micro crystaline wax, and that was it. The final wall thickness is around 5/16 (+ -) the bottom is 1/2 inch. I think I could have gone a bit thinner on the wall thickness, but there were a couple thin spots, so I didn't push the issue.
I don't have a free standing tool rest, so I had to use my regular tool rest, because of the blank ( 19 1/2"), I had to use clockwise rotation of the lathe, while turning in the outboard mode. I think I realized this was the very extreme of capacity of the Nova 16-24 lathe. Now, I've gotta convince Mrs. Cook, that I really need the free standing tool rest, and I can turn some really big stuff.
Thanks for you interest, and giving me the opportunity to buy the blank..

Larry

larry C

Reaction score
First name
Larry
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Nice work!! Extraordinary piece of wood!
Only criticisms are the tool marks dead center & the ring about an inch out from center. & in photos 2, 3, & 4, the tool mark arcing around 1" from the right unnatural edge. If you take a half hour & hand sand them out & refinish the bowl I'm sure you won't sell it because lady Cook will confiscate it!
Also photo 2 & 3 the bowl sides flows up & outward like a splash from throwing a stone in a pond :good2:, then the right side arcs back up 1" from the edge which look a bit out of place.

I agree on the ring out from the center......in defense of that, I worked on that sucker for the better part of 8 days, and I had to see what I had, so for now, "it is what it is". I think in a couple weeks, I'll rechuck it and do what you mentioned......this wood is interesting to deal with, it's a lot tougher than I thought it would be, I'd like to get the wall thickness down to 1/4", but, to be honest, there are a couple thin spots towards the bottom that concerned me..

I do appreciate your comments....

Larry