Jointer Jig

Borsco

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Good evening,

I just made a jointer jig for my table saw, I’m fairly happy with it. I’m able to probably get to within 1/64th over the run of about 30”. Does anyone have any experience with these you could lend? I seem to be having a lot of trouble controlling the wood’s pitching and tendency of wanting to push away from the blade while also advancing it forward. I have a feather board but it also seems to not be worth anything, it pushes away without any resistance.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
Good evening,

I just made a jointer jig for my table saw, I’m fairly happy with it. I’m able to probably get to within 1/64th over the run of about 30”. Does anyone have any experience with these you could lend? I seem to be having a lot of trouble controlling the wood’s pitching and tendency of wanting to push away from the blade while also advancing it forward. I have a feather board but it also seems to not be worth anything, it pushes away without any resistance.

Maybe post a couple pictures? I think I know what you're talking about but not sure and don't want to say anything until I'm sure.

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Scott, I have never tried to joint on the table saw as you are trying to, but the pictures I've seen of the setup would have you remove the splitter and have the outfeed raised level right behind the blade, like this:

Jointer Jig 002.jpg

I know people joint that way and make it work, but the thought of edge jointing that way on a table saw scares me far more than doing that on a real jointer or with a router table or with the method below. (My router table fence - it's a Kreg router table and fence - allows me to set it up to edge joint, which I've never tried either, since I have a jointer.)

Honestly, if I wanted to edge joint on the table saw, I would build a sled like this, which would allow you to position the board on the sled wherever needed to get your straight edge, clamp it down, and run it through the saw. The t-rack runs perpendicular to the edge that's cutting and allows for the hold downs to be moved so you can edge joint boards of whatever width. IMO, this is much, much safer than what you're trying to do. Bonus: this sled can do double duty if you ever want to cut a taper on something.

setting-up-shop-05.jpg

(Pictures not mine - grabbed off a Google image search.)

Borsco

Reaction score
First name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thank you for your replies.

I have the same setup as your first picture, Sprung, although I don’t have the blade raised nearly as high and I can see why you would think it were so dangerous. I honestly don’t feel like this jig is any more dangerous than ripping a board against the fence, but I appreciate your thought.

I do plan on making a sled similar to the afformentioned which can double as a tapering tool, I just thought maybe this jig would be more generally useful.

Thanks for your replies

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Scott, I noticed in another thread you've had your table saw for all of two weeks. I just wanted to follow up and really encourage you to find a different way to edge joint boards than the jig you mentioned in this thread. There are safer options, even an option to still do it on your table saw in a much safer manner that is just like ripping a board.

I am a big fan of doing things safely. This is a potentially dangerous hobby with all kinds of tools that can easily remove fingers (or more) - and sometimes even take a life. I encourage you to check out our Shop Safety sub-forum and take a look through there.

If something happens where the saw catches and kicks back the board, you will not like it. I've read accounts of boards flying with enough force to cause internal bleeding. I've seen my own table saw shoot a 2" x 2" x 3/4" piece of wood out and damage a wall 20' away. No one has enough strength to manhandle a board and try to shut the saw off if the piece starts to kick back.

Bad things can happen in a hurry, sometime even when you're doing things safely. And even seasoned woodworkers have mishaps or moments where they are distracted or don't do something safely.

Here are some things that have happened to some of our members here. Warning, there are graphic pictures in some or all of these threads. And, honestly, you don't have to look very far on the internet to find countless stories from guys who have seriously injured themselves - sometimes to the point of affecting their entire life and livelihood. There have even been people who have died due to injuries sustained while woodworking.

This is a great and fun hobby, but you need to practice it safely. While you might be able to safely use that jig for many years, this is probably one of the least safe ways to edge joint a board. I've done some stupid stuff with my tools, usually when the tool is new to me, and have gotten hurt. Thankfully not seriously. It's definitely made me learn some lessons about safely using my tools and practicing this hobby. I know the last thing I want to do is lose a finger or get injured to the point where I can no longer have woodworking as my hobby or, worst of all, leave my wife as a widow and my two young sons without a father because I did something stupid with a potentially dangerous power tool.

Sorry for the serious/doom and gloom post. But I don't want to see you making a thread in the shop safety forum wherein you show a graphic and bloody picture and describe how you lost a finger, or got injured in some other way, because you didn't do something in the safest manner you can.

Borsco

Reaction score
First name
Scott
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Gentlemen,

I joined this forum to learn new things and because I am relatively new to this.

I’ve been hurt by a table saw which was evident by the bruise on my thigh which was dramatically discovered by my wife, thankfully I had all of my fingers.

I appreciate your advise and I plan on destroying my jointer jig when I get home (when I’m not drunk, it’s Friday)

I DO honestly feel safe using his jig, but I suppose neo-comfort may indicate ignorance.

Again, I honestly appreciate your concern, I’ve been on other sites and not found this level of care.

Thank you,
Scott

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
neo-comfort may indicate ignorance

I've never done that or hurt myself because of it! :blush: (And if you believe that - I've got a bridge to sell you! :sarcastic:)

Scott, as you're already seeing, this isn't like many other places. People like to look out for each other here. And we're more of a community/family here. I suppose the fact that we're a smaller forum helps with that. We also like to help each other learn and there's not really any stupid questions. (Ok, I could think of some stupid questions, but if there's something you don't know - just ask - we're here to help each other get better at this!)

Of course, like any family, we have our fair share of nuts. And by fair share, I mean all of us. :wacko: And you'll see lots of times where we're at each other's throats poking fun at each other, but we've always got each others' backs. Except Tony. He's short, so he's got the back of your calves covered.

Lou Currier

Reaction score
First name
Lou
I should add my own story and pictures to the shop safety. I got bit by a jointer that kicked back and pulled my fingers in...now I have a short middle finger...they saved the other two. I can tell you, power tools are a force to be respected.

Schroedc

Still making sawdust, Maybe make some money....
Reaction score
First name
Colin
I had to go in after a kick back years ago. They were concerned about internal bleeding. I got lucky. Yes, learning the hard way will get the lesson through but we'd rather find an easier way for you to learn it instead of class hours in the emergency room.