ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Back to the drawing board....i need to make a small tool. My carbides are too big.

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I have Lee sending me pics of how he makes his tools from allen wrenches. When i get em all I'll post em up so we all can try it.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
The one I made, just ground a round edge on the short arm and then ground it like a scraper with a 70° angle. No handle, just used a pair of vise grips to hold it.

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
For the small vase that I posted a picture of on page 1 of this thread, I used a 3/8" bowl gouge to turn the outside. For the inside I used an old small screwdriver ground down to make it a small round nose scraper. Since then I've purchased a set of the Sorby micro turning tools which really work great. But those would be easy to make with allen wrenches or small screwdrivers.

I have done miniature platters with 1/4" bowl and spindle gouges (don't need both, one of the two works well).

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I've got 2 of the Sorby miniature tools I'll sell if anyone wants them. I'll dig them out tomorrow, take some pics and start a thread.

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Marc, sorry to see the oops. Is that dogwood? Looks pretty small, but should have been able to use one of my 1/4” carbide
hook tools…pretty sure you have.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Anybody playing with anything mini yet? I'm stuck house/dog sitting in town for my sister and not going to get any shop time till late next week. It's too hot anyway.... But still having withdrawal symptoms....
I started on something tonight that I’ve never done before. It will either be super cool or an epic fail lol. I’m making spares at the same time just in case. :)

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
This was going to be my entry but it's just over 2" tall. That's why I prepped spares in case something like that happened. I got this idea from Rebecca DeGroot. She calls it a mini aquifer.

20210727_134038.jpg 20210727_134049.jpg 20210727_134114.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Cool project Barb! I just watched her prentation and that's on my list to try, pressure pot or not. I want to do a monocot though (corn).

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Cool project Barb! I just watched her prentation and that's on my list to try, pressure pot or not. I want to do a monocot though (corn).
Thanks! I don't think I could do anything other than a little leaf. Carving is definitely not my strong suit.

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
I plan to play with a little epoxy putty for the plant. Just need to figure out if I can get a decent smooth surface.

I'm jealous seeing the presentations with all the power carving tools and burrs. I've got nothing other than a Dremel and never tried any power carving.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I plan to play with a little epoxy putty for the plant. Just need to figure out if I can get a decent smooth surface.

I'm jealous seeing the presentations with all the power carving tools and burrs. I've got nothing other than a Dremel and never tried any power carving.
Epoxy putty is such a great idea! I didn't even think of that. I've used milliput and it left a smooth surface. The parts that weren't smooth were very easy to sand. All I have is a dremel wannabe and that doesn't cut it for carving. So yeah, having power carving tools would be very helpful.