• A New Photo Gallery Has Been Added!!! Please share pictures of your finished projects in the New Photo Gallery for everyone to enjoy browsing. The New Photo Gallery is for FINISHED PROJECTS ONLY!! The New Photo Gallery section was created to give people a place to view photos without having to read through all the threads. Enjoy everyone and please contribute!

June/July Turning Challenge - Enhancements

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Going in a different direction this time. Many of the past challenges have focused on specific items or techniques, this time it's going to be wide open. There are so many techniques we all use to enhance the pieces of wood we turn, and thought it would be fun to highlight some of those techniques and hopefully push everyone to try something new, or push a technique you've used in the past to the next level.

Painting, burning, texturing, dying, piercing, carving, inlays, mixed media, stabilizing, casting, the list goes on and on. Choose one (or more than one) and run with it. The idea is to take a piece of wood and elevate your turning to a piece of art through whatever technique you choose. Whether you are "enhancing" the blank before you turn it or after, I don't care. Also don't care what you turn, you choose the project.

BTW, thanks to @Lou Currier for the idea that led to this challenge, and to open it up to any type of project.

Requirements:

1. Project must include at least some wood that is turned on a lathe.

2. Project can be anything! Large or small, tall or wide.

3. Project must include some sort of enhancement that "takes it to the next level"

4. That's it! I realize voting will be tough leaving this so wide open, but that's half the fun of it!

5. Pictures of your projects should be posted in this thread by Sunday July 11, 10:00pm Central Time. At some point after that I'll create a poll and we will vote a winner.

I've probably forgot to include something, so let me know and I'll add on as necessary.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
I killed two birds with one stone when it comes to this bowl. I had planned on making this for a friend and it fit in perfectly with this months challenge. It's made out of ambrosia maple inlaid with watch parts and 2 strands of wire. I used UV resin so I wouldn't have to wait for epoxy to cure. It's 10.5" x 4.5". I got this blank freshly cut less than a month ago. After I cored it, I put it in silica beads for a couple of weeks. Worked great for drying but I wouldn't do that too often. It takes forever to recharge the beads. Bonus: there's a little alien guy on the bottom lol.

20210618_143340.jpg 20210618_143353.jpg 20210618_143440.jpg 20210618_143737.jpg 20210618_144032.jpg 20210618_144001.jpg

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Very cool! The watch parts and wire fit the coloration and style of the bowl perfectly.

Any comments on the UV resin? Seems like the perfect tool for this kind of project.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Very cool! The watch parts and wire fit the coloration and style of the bowl perfectly.

Any comments on the UV resin? Seems like the perfect tool for this kind of project.
Thank you! :) The one thing I have to be aware of when using the UV resin is to make sure I don't cure too thick of a layer. It'll create bubbles the same way ca glue will when using activator sometimes. At least it does whenever I use too much with the maker's mark. I played it safe with this and split it up into 4 layers. It stinks also but that's no big deal. You also have time to put things into place and move them around if necessary unlike ca glue. It also doesn't soak into the wood the way epoxy does.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Thank you! :) The one thing I have to be aware of when using the UV resin is to make sure I don't cure too thick of a layer. It'll create bubbles the same way ca glue will when using activator sometimes. At least it does whenever I use too much with the maker's mark. I played it safe with this and split it up into 4 layers. It stinks also but that's no big deal. You also have time to put things into place and move them around if necessary unlike ca glue. It also doesn't soak into the wood the way epoxy does.

Very cool bowl Barb. I can relate to the "Maker's Mark" comment. I had the same problem so I tried switching to Oredain Arrete reposado but that only made the problem worse. So now I pretty much stick to sun tea while I'm woodworking.

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Very cool bowl Barb. I can relate to the "Maker's Mark" comment. I had the same problem so I tried switching to Oredain Arrete reposado but that only made the problem worse. So now I pretty much stick to sun tea while I'm woodworking.
I had to look up "Oredain Arrete reposado" and I've gotta say that's some funny sh$t there! šŸ¤£

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Enter as many things as you want! Many of us (me) are chronic procrastinators, and have a hard time completing even one thing by the deadline. We have had few challenges with multiple entries by individuals, the more the merrier!