June/July Turning Challenge - Enhancements

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here's a sneak peek at what I'm working on. It's cottonwood if you couldn't tell. :sarcastic:

teaser.jpeg

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Barb, you crushed it!!! Game over folks, here's the winner!! That is the coolest use of steampunking as an embellishment! Even the wire with the gears would be exceptional...nice work!

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Barb, you crushed it!!! Game over folks, here's the winner!! That is the coolest use of steampunking as an embellishment! Even the wire with the gears would be exceptional...nice work!
Thank you! I wouldn't count anyone else out though. There are some cool looking entries on the way. :)

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Here is my entry. Faux verdigris on cottonwood. Bowl is around 9x2" the cottonwood was textured with a ball peen hammer after turning and sanding. Basic process is primer x2, copper paint x2, spray acid over the top.

copper bowl2.jpeg

copper bowl3.jpeg

copper bowl4.jpeg

copper bowl5.jpeg

Here is a picture showing my first test piece. Also cottonwood, but it was only beaded, not textured.

copper bowl6.jpeg

Barb

Reaction score
First name
Barbara
Here is my entry. Faux verdigris on cottonwood. Bowl is around 9x2" the cottonwood was textured with a ball peen hammer after turning and sanding. Basic process is primer x2, copper paint x2, spray acid over the top.

View attachment 211993

View attachment 211992

View attachment 211994

View attachment 211995

Here is a picture showing my first test piece. Also cottonwood, but it was only beaded, not textured.

View attachment 211996
This is super cool! I think I like the beaded bowl better but I love the ball peen hammer texture. The hammer texture would've been nice on the upper portion of your beaded bowl. That's a very good use of cottonwood.

Last edited:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
Thanks Barb!

The beaded bowl definitely has more pizzazz, tried the beads to see how the paint/acid reacted, gave lots of texture/contrast as I hoped. When I made the beaded bowl, the idea of texturing with the hammer hadn't even occurred to me, but I think you're correct, a beaded bowl with the hammering would be great. Good thing I have lots of cottonwood bowls I roughed a couple years ago just to use for experiments.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Fantastic job Tim; absolutely love it!

If you don't mind, when you say "spray acid" what specific product did you use? I'm not at all familiar with it, but I love the look so may have to give it a go on something in the future. The thought of "spray acid" has me cringing a bit though :bad:

trc65

Reaction score
First name
Tim
The paint "system" is Modern Masters metal effects reactive paint. I got it from Craft Supplies, but Amazon also sells it. There's also a different brand with Nick Agar's name on it for a little more money.

The "acid" is mild, and comes in a little bottle that you just spritz over the wet copper paint. I got a couple drops on my arm while I was spraying it that sat there for 5 minutes or so before I washed it off, no burn or irritation from it. Although you do want to follow their precautions, it's not a strong acid at all. Gloves and goggles are needed, but I think the mention of using a rubber splash apron is a little excessive.

Woodworking Vet

Reaction score
First name
Damon
I finished this up just in time to see this thread, so I guess I'll enter it.

Multi axis turning from a piece of poplar. Carved using pyrography, painted with acrylics. It measures 6.5" across, 5.5" tall and about 7/8" thick at the center (widest point).

Brass Patches 2

p1.jpg

p2.jpg

p3.jpg