Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Just when I thought I'd move on to drums....

Discussion in 'Instrument Makers' started by FLQuacker, Dec 13, 2018.

1. FLQuacker

FLQuacker Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Wayne
    Well, I'm gonna but got a while for processing the pecan.

Been itching to do a figured top Tele, this talked me into it!

maple.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
  2. ironman123

ironman123 Member Full Member

First name:
    Ray
    Really nice wood.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Very nice but what's a figured top Tele?

4. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 3
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  5. Wildthings

Wildthings ASTROS 2017 WORLD CHAMPIONS Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    OOOOHHHHH!!

6. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Telecaster....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Arn213

Arn213 craM de la craM # RipJack City! Full Member

First name:
    Arn
    I just hope you don’t cover up that pretty maple with a plastic pickguard and not use the shiny tele control plate. Use a pick up ring for the bridge and just drill holes for the tone/volume/switch in the front with the control cavity in the back out of the same wood material as the back. I would love to see a double maple cap in the front and back with binding.

Yeah, Wayne pushing the envelope for you, but I know you have the skills and resources to do it.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  8. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    LOL..always love a good challenge.

You're right, all I need to do is modify my cut file to be double sided, draw the rear cavity with shaft holes and remove the front control cavity.

Binding cut would be a breeze with a 1/8" endmill.

I was thinking though, using some figured something (walnut maybe) and cut a pickguard?? Hides some purdy, but shows something else :)

Body is gonna be mahogany. Probably do some chambering to keep the weight down.

Couple weeks before I can get going on it....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    Like Emerile would say, “let us kick it up a notch”!

If you can do it, change it up so all of your tele builds have a different look with different sound.

You don’t have to use plastic for the binding, you can use real wood (just walnut or walnut outside laminated with cherry or you can do triple binding where you use walnut/curly maple/cherry) !

Figured walnut would be nice as an option with the curly maple set if you want to go the pickguard route.

So here is something you can ponder. I have gifted my wife a Stickley dresser many moons ago- it has quarter sawn cherry frames with slab sawn curly maple drawer inserts with walnut circular inlays with walnut knobs. It is about 20 years old and it has an oil finish- it has darken a lot and the color patina looks like it can pass for a vintage piece. Just tossing the idea of maple, cherry and walnut working well together- you can mix and match them and say use the cherry as binding, walnut as pickguard, walnut chambered body (or your cherry stash you have), maple neck or walnut neck, etc.. You have a lot of options my friend and it depends what sound and look you are after!

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018
  10. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Talked me into Walnut! Been wanting to use it.

Dropped by my guys place...6/4 5.7 bf @ about 5 1/2'. Best smaller piece I could find. Still had a 12" check, a few knots and a small sapwood rot. I could get my blanks no problem from it. Tried my darndest to talk him down from $8.50 bf but he wouldn't budge! Good dude and told me overseas buyers are buying walnut out the gazoo. Their walnut stock is actually way down. Very few slabs and modest dimensional stock.

Oh well...he did fill me a 6*6*6 box of some other drop stuff. Cocobolo. Nice guy!

At 6/4, top may be a little thicker than 1/4 to bring it to full thickness of 1 3/4 after I clean it up...that's fine.

Get home, had 1 day to play maybe 2…and it starts raining again :(

IMG_20181215_123846693-612x816.jpg

IMG_20181215_131126605-816x612.jpg

IMG_20181215_133049900~2-612x816.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  11. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    Nice haul Wayne! He was generous with the coco (those are really nice) and you made out big time even with the cost on the walnut slightly elevated. Nice quarter sawn walnut material.

5/16” thickness on the maple cap would be fine to compensate for the 6/4 on the walnut. Standard bindings are typically from .250” to .375”. There is a cool technique if you want to retain a 1/4” thickness on the maple cap providing you use a contrasting 1/4” binding (out of different wood or in contrast with the walnut)- you basically route for 1/4” depth around the perimeter, you will then have a 1/16” of the maple purfling showing on the side edge, so if you use a 1/4” cherry binding, that will sit on top of the maple shelf that will give you a very complex but elegant look (so from the side edge, you will have walnut middle, 1/16” maple purfling and 1/4” cherry binding).

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
  12. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Got the walnut blank ready. 1.5 x 14 x 20 quartersawn

Headn to the woods for the week tomorrow...so it will have to sit, but the maple should be waiting on me when I get back!

walnut-1.jpg

walnut blank-1.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  13. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    You guys have done chambered stuff...assuming there isn't a real hard and fast "chamber calculation" process.

Any reason why this wouldn't work?

Holes will be 1" x 1.25" deep for a .25+- thick back.

Holes under the pickguard, still will have the 1/4"+ top to attach. Probably overlay one just to be sure they don't line up on the holes (chambered holes)

FrChambered.JPG

RControl pocket.JPG

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  14. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    Right on. I was hoping you'd chamber.

15. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    There is weight relief, full chambering and tone chambering. They have different goals and different outcomes. It is very subjective and a debatable issue in the guitar building trade. But the commonality is how to deal with “heavier” wood to be used for building an instrument. There are different chambering patterns used from circles, honeycomb pattern to linear flutings, fanned geometries, etc. Have a look when you can in one of the major suppliers of do it yourself parts in guitar building and take a look at their chambering patterns of strats, tele’s and LP bodies. The strats and tele’s has different chambering method compare to an LP (G*bson actually has about 4 ways of chambering). If you take a look at the Strat and tele’s the way they are chambered, they either have honeycomb or linear fluttings patterns on the bodies. Makes you wonder why ‘they perform different patterns’ and geometries on their bodies. Begs the question in why they do the patterns differently and which one yileds better results?

You will notice the tap tone response will change when you go from solid mass to when you slowly remove wood- it becomes a little more resonant. Apparently, the fluting method of chambering (looks really like how you route a pilaster column so there are grooves spaced between thinner spaces of wood walls) gives you a much more resonant result in tone chambering where you leave thinner separations of wood walls between the fluting going parallel with the grain. It goes with the premise that sound is linear. Supposedly if you go cross grain with the chambering or bore circular shapes, you don’t get the same results.

• Informative Informative x 1
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
  16. Blueglass

Blueglass Member Full Member

First name:
    Les
    On the couple I've done so far I drilled like your pattern but then routed pockets from there. The newest I carved the inside pretty much opposite of the outside carve. It is still pretty substantial feeling but then again it is Mahogany and North Indian Rosewood all sourced here in FL.

17. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Think I'll draw one up using the grain oriented channels design and flip a coin

18. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Channel design up on the coin flip.

So after all the presents were opened and everybody passed out on couches after the big feast...took some time to get the build started.

Weight relief cut and top resawn and glued up.

That's a previous cut out laying on top of the walnut for reference.

IMG_20181225_191223153-612x816.jpg

IMG_20181225_191703051~2-612x816.jpg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Got some shop time today, before we bug out to N FL for the New Years. Kid's playing a pretty big party in Tallahassee at Fifth and Thomas for the Celebration.

Ready for sanding. Top just seems to not turn out as drop dead pretty as I had hoped, so that changed the build a little. Went with a traditional control cavity. I'll find some SUPER curly stuff to do a rear cavity on eventually. That's cool, got the first "drop top" and weight relief under my belt anyway.

It will have a custom pickguard cut as well, to show a little more of the top.

Oh, that's a stove top cover thingy me and another kid made for their travel trailer, shoulda swapped him boards :)

5 lbs 6 oz

**EDIT**

Seems to have been hiding a little figure!

After some sanding, sitting overnight. Should really pop when I put the dye to it.

Walnut_tele-1-1_small.jpg

Walnut_tele2_small.jpg

IMG_20181228_080739885-1.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  20. FLQuacker

First name:
    Wayne
    Shellaced top...workn on a pickguard.

Still up in the air on it. Gonna get cut down (black lines) and shined up before I make a final decision to use it, and get the walnut finished. Right now, a cream one looks good.

Cherry burl I had to stain dark walnut to even start to like it.

Might have to do a walnut one for another choice.

Whats a nice cream colored wood???

pickguardcut.jpg

shellactele.jpg

• EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
Current Time: 2:37 AM