Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.
  1. Mike Mills

Mike Mills Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mike
    The only carving I have done is chip carving (which I liked) but it has been many years.
    Anyway.... seems my Gson want to start whittling/carving. Per my daughter he is not having much luck with his little multi-tool whittling on sticks.
    Would my chip carving knife and maybe one V tool get him started or would a different carving knife be better?
    These will be simple things... owls, dogs, old men, etc.
    BTW he is 9.
    Is basswood and popular the best to get him started. What size stock.. may 1.5 square and then cut to length?
    Looking to get him set up by Christmas.
    Thanks

2. Bigdrowdy1

Bigdrowdy1 Member Full Member

First name:
    Rodney
    Mike I have seen starter kits with knives, blocks and books to get people started out carving. That maybe the quickest way and simplest way to start. If you gets really interested in it you could expand tools and books.
    I have no knowledge about the tools yet or the insight to start with but bought a bunch of carving tools recently on WB. I also got some videos from you to get a idea where to start. Still trying to adjust to the throw back in time Lol
    My 2cents worth.
    Below is somethings I have carved.

Rodney

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. Tony

Tony Hardwood Enthusiast Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Tony
    Rodney, you forgot to attach pictures my man!

4. Mike Mills

First name:
    Mike
    At least for now it will be a cross between whittling and carving. I did watch a few youtubes last night and 1" square stock may be fine for most. Pretty small hands and not a lot of strength in a 9 year old. Per Mom he has been trying to whittle limbs (I assume dry and no telling how hard). Just wanted to get him started somewhat right before he gives up in frustration.

Rodney,..."Still trying to adjust to the throw back in time". Don't let the wife see you watching them or every time you want to buy a new tool she will say.. "But those guys in your videos don't have those tools and they do just fine. Why do you need one?"

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Bigdrowdy1

First name:
    Rodney
    No I didn't. That what I have done so far.
    Rodney

• Funny Funny x 4
  6. Bigdrowdy1

First name:
    Rodney
    QUOTE="Mike Mills, post:

Rodney,..."Still trying to adjust to the throw back in time". Don't let the wife see you watching them or every time you want to buy a new tool she will say.. "But those guys in your videos don't have those tools and they do just fine. Why do you need one?"[/QUOTE]

I got the Ole my gosh how old is that? What are you watching? That music is like ancient. When was that the early 70's. I hope you didn't pay anything for that . So on and so on.

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Get him some balsa or something easy to start then go to basswood.

IMO every young boy like that should be taught what a good pocket knife can do. Something small with a locking back so it wont fold on his fingers and grandpa holds onto it and sharpens for him... take it out when he comes over and he will learn to respect sharp things and also be able to learn the value of a good pocket knife one day.

I don't remember a ton from being little but do remember one day vividly when I was a youngster about his age... I had one of my favorite pocket knives and was in a secluded area at recess when a "noon mom" snuck up on me whittling a stick... she took the knife and the world colllapsed... I cried like a newborn! I never thought I would get it back when i worked so hard to be trusted with it from my papa. Obviously it was suppose to stay at home and I broke that rule and it burned it in my brain. Nowadays I would have had the school on lockdown and the swat team there for such an innocent thing a child didn't know he was doing...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike Mills

First name:
    Mike
    For a second it threw me. Ole is name of my gson (named after the brother of his GGma (Norwegian). The only person anyone has ever heard of is Ole Anderson.
    "That music is ancient." Wow, wish my wife was 18.
    "Hope you didn't pay anything..." nope, nothing, nada, you made a donation.

Cody, the balsa wood should work out better, I din't even think of that. I have no idea what he even intends to whittle. Maybe he just wants to sharpen a stick to go frog gigging or make a spear.

There may be better but I found Doug Outside on youtube who shows very simple carvings.

• Like Like x 1
  9. against.the.grain

against.the.grain Member Full Member

First name:
    Shane
    I would think the angle of the blade on a chip carving knife wouldn’t be the best to learn to whittle with. A standard carving knife and a palm v tool would be my recommendation. Balsa wood or Basswood. Mix rubbing alcohol and water 50/50 in an old mayo jar to dip the wood in to soften it too. Don’t forget the cut resistant gloves.

Current Time: 8:15 PM