Kitchen Island Stool

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I’m finally starting the kitchen island stool I promised my wife 6, no 7, years ago now. This 6/4 walnut board was to be a table, another project I procrastinated on long enough to find another use for the wood. I had a dado stack on the table saw so I figured I’d just cut it with a circular saw. There was so much tension in the wood it bound up, so I’m glad I didn’t have it on the table saw. After wrestling it out, went to the hand saw from the other end. The board snatched it up also. (I don’t recall who on the forum mentioned the Jawhorse, but thanks! It sure is handy.)

F26C7F53-9BCB-48B3-8DC9-70C9DFEC4965.jpeg

61762040-A85E-4E00-B903-5AA88C20761A.jpeg

Plan is to get 2 stools from the board. I will try and keep as much of the figure as I can in the seat.

2E21E519-7D68-45F0-9558-E31AFEA8CA43.jpeg

First seat roughed out.

73FBA3F3-EF25-4CBD-92B1-7A10CCCC835E.jpeg

Cutting mortises with the dado to accept the legs.

B36E0293-65F5-4686-9363-8F606B90AE11.jpeg

9D59155B-49C3-439D-B947-8AE0E2B235A8.jpeg

Mortises finished. I have to rabbet 1/2 inch around these but I’m at a standstill. Have to order a 1/2” collet for my router. Thought I had one but.....

5E0252A3-7D29-4526-A230-EA56F91D3B36.jpeg

Last edited:

DKMD

Sawbones
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
David
You’re gonna spoil her doing stuff that quickly... not to mention making the rest of us look bad.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
You’re gonna spoil her doing stuff that quickly... not to mention making the rest of us look bad.
You never want to peak too early, Doc. :good2:

This is what she is currently using.

BCBFB77B-613B-4630-A74E-E3412E0102A1.jpeg

Last edited:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Gotten about 18yrs of use out of this one. Grandkids have used it in kitchen as much as anyone. I actually built it for myself. Having a 5' wife means you have to get everything over 72 " now she can reach almost to cabinet top. Used and abused. Alder. And i did not think you used one of those spinny saws Tom....

20190117_172046.jpg

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Very nice, Mike. Doesn’t look abused at all. Looks almost new actually.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Very nice, Mike. Doesn’t look abused at all. Looks almost new actually.
I have a 3 step out of cherry someplace. She does not use it much, too heavy. Alder was made to match oak cabinets we had. Now they are cherry. So many different renditions of stools. Yours is looking good.

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
I have a 3 step out of cherry someplace. She does not use it much, too heavy. Alder was made to match oak cabinets we had. Now they are cherry. So many different renditions of stools. Yours is looking good.
Thank you sir. My first attempt so I’m a bit intimidated.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Thank you sir. My first attempt so I’m a bit intimidated.
mine was second attempt. first was small and wood was too thick- looks clunky- still hanging in there, probably could park truck on it... little grandkids use it in bathroom

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Stools are fun
So far so good. This plan has a lot of hand work in it. It’s costing me a bunch to buy all the tools and bits I didn’t have. I’m gonna have to make a dozen to get the cost below what I could have bought them for.

Last edited:

Sprung

Amateur Sawdust Maker
Reaction score
First name
Matt
Stools are fun

There's a :old:/potty humor joke in there somewhere. :sofa:

It’s costing me a bunch to buy all the tools and bits I didn’t have. I’m gonna have to make a dozen to get the cost below what I could have bought them for.

Ain't that the truth sometimes! With the amount I've spent thus far on hardware, tools, and some plywood for my current kitchen hutch build, I probably could've gone out and bought something pre-made and had some money leftover. But where's the fun in that? Besides, I'll have a piece that is uniquely designed to meet both our needs and our taste in design, I'll have a piece that will be built to last, and I can use the tools I've bought in future projects. I mean, the Freud Super Dado I finally pulled the trigger on will serve me for many years to come.

Looking like they'll turn out nice thus far. I'll be watching this one - at some point I know I've got some stools I'll have to build. Probably on about the same 7 year timetable as you too!

Tom Smart

Reaction score
First name
Tom
Good thing my wife didn't see that, she'd want our vintage 1972 wall to wall carpet torn out of the kitchen...
I like the wood floor in the kitchen. When we built the house 25 years ago I was skeptical about how it would hold up, but now I wouldn’t have it any other way.