Kitchen remodel

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Looking forward here too. We’re building new, have rough sawn cabinets and quartzite counters ordered and some custom work with the island. I won’t share this thread with my wife, we’ve gone back and forth on everything too much to throw another wrench in!

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Looking forward here too. We’re building new, have rough sawn cabinets and quartzite counters ordered and some custom work with the island. I won’t share this thread with my wife, we’ve gone back and forth on everything too much to throw another wrench in!
This is third kitchen remodel in as many houses ... I don't argue anymore ... just shut my mouth and do what she wants ... life is so much easier that way

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
I use the ol stand bys.....

Yes Dear....
And
As you wish....

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Hey you made big rocks into small rocks!!
Well done sir....

Don Ratcliff

I'm now a Texiian
Reaction score
First name
Don
You guys have it all figured out, Maya started to yell at me the other day about how I don't listen to her and I thought that was a really strange way to start a conversation... lol

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
Yes ... riff sawn oak ... shaker style doors and drawer fronts ... have lowers done .. will need to install them before new floor put down

Love the shaker style, I have done a few kitchens and have found that you can build one heck of a kitchen for less than you can buy low end cabinets for. I usually end up spending as much or more on hardware as I do on wood. You can even buy a few new tools and come out ahead , at least that's what I tell the boss.

sprucegum

Reaction score
First name
Dave
This is third kitchen remodel in as many houses ... I don't argue anymore ... just shut my mouth and do what she wants ... life is so much easier that way
I see these remodeling jobs as the perfect opportunity to stock up on new tools. Take a lesson from the politicians never let a good crisis situation go to waste, if a new kitchen means a new planer or table saw so be it the end justifies the means.

Herb G.

Reaction score
First name
Herb
Congrats on your remodel. I will never touch another remodel again as long as I live.
The first house I ever bought was a foreclosure I got cheap. The entire house was trashed inside.
Looked like a bomb went off in there. The previous tenant was evicted for not paying the rent.
When they found out they were going to sleep under a bridge, they got vindictive & tore the house up.

I literally took it down to the studs in the whole house. I rewired it, put in a French drain in the basement,
did the whole nine yards. It took me & my 1st wife 2 years to get it livable.
I sold it 3 years later, made a killing.

I just redid our kitchen here 15 years ago. I knocked down a wall between the dining room & kitchen & made
one big kitchen. That was my last hurrah so to speak.

I wish you lots of luck & I hope you don't find hidden problems like we did here.

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
Congrats on your remodel. I will never touch another remodel again as long as I live.
The first house I ever bought was a foreclosure I got cheap. The entire house was trashed inside.
Looked like a bomb went off in there. The previous tenant was evicted for not paying the rent.
When they found out they were going to sleep under a bridge, they got vindictive & tore the house up.

I literally took it down to the studs in the whole house. I rewired it, put in a French drain in the basement,
did the whole nine yards. It took me & my 1st wife 2 years to get it livable.
I sold it 3 years later, made a killing.

I just redid our kitchen here 15 years ago. I knocked down a wall between the dining room & kitchen & made
one big kitchen. That was my last hurrah so to speak.

I wish you lots of luck & I hope you don't find hidden problems like we did here.
Sounds like you have had all the fun .. my 3rd kitchen remodel with this wife in as many houses ... not just the kitchens we've done the entire house ... it's lots of work but about the only way I know to make a purchased house a home .. been in the business a long time and nothing I find suprises me... thanks for the well wishes...

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Sounds like you have had all the fun .. my 3rd kitchen remodel with this wife in as many houses ... not just the kitchens we've done the entire house ... it's lots of work but about the only way I know to make a purchased house a home .. been in the business a long time and nothing I find suprises me... thanks for the well wishes...

I have done a few myself- this one- we added on and totally rebuilt. Kitchen was easy- Yes dear- yes dear - yes.........

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I should not make fun of @Tony on the short thing. Kathie is 5'. She wanted shorter cabinets. Nobody wanted to make short cabinets. They had lots of reasons. Taller, sure. Shorter no way. She had convinced me she was getting no taller so i agreed to make them. Oh and i want mostly drawers, 1.5 radiused corners. Oh and take the soffit out. Dont worry about dishwasher sticking up out of cabinet. You can build a cutting board to hide it.....:scare3:

woodman6415

Reaction score
First name
wendell
I should not make fun of @Tony on the short thing. Kathie is 5'. She wanted shorter cabinets. Nobody wanted to make short cabinets. They had lots of reasons. Taller, sure. Shorter no way. She had convinced me she was getting no taller so i agreed to make them. Oh and i want mostly drawers, 1.5 radiused corners. Oh and take the soffit out. Dont worry about dishwasher sticking up out of cabinet. You can build a cutting board to hide it.....:scare3:
I have done a few kitchens with shorter cabinets .. no appliances will match .. 2 were for wheel chair bound and built according to the disability standards .. now as for as taller I've done a few of those also .. my cousins house he is 6.7 and wife is 6.2 .. fun times there .. oven and dishwasher on pedestals...
last set of custom cabinets I built was for a high dollar custom home ... had 4 bathrooms .. the lady wanted taller vanities in two for adults .. standard for kids .. also wanted the utility room cabinet taller .... get this she wanted them built 52 inches tall ... wanted kitchen cabinets that tall to but home builder talked her out of that for resale value ... her complaint was she was always having to bend over to brush teeth and fold clothes ... she was a whopping 5ft4in tall ... to say after it was done she might have made a little mistake .. but she wouldn't admit it and made a big deal about how happy she was ... husband just standing there shaking his head ... was a very well paying job with those extra inches ...

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Kathie designed the kitchen. She loves to cook. I agreed to everything except hard tile floor. She is happy 11 yrs later with everything inc. The floor. Some items did present challenges.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Like when she broght this home, wall mount and after i explained it is a wall mount. Her answer. "But it was on sale" :blush::impatient::unknown: 20180413_104209.jpg