Knife Blanks - Where to Buy

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
What companies sell ready made knife blanks suitable for attaching scales? Any specific blanks that you might recommend? Thanks! Chuck

scootac

Reaction score
First name
George
Like this?

A relative asked me to do one for him, had never done one. He sent me the blade, scales, and the pins. I rough cut the scales, glued them on, then formed them to shape. Slowly got it to where it felt good in my hand, asked couple other guys how it felt and went with it. Sanded it but left it up to owner for finishing. That was 8-10 yrs ago, says he still uses it most every day.
Should make one for myself someday.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
There are a lot of places to find blades that have been around for a long time. Several listed already. Jantz is a great place as are the others. WoodWorld is close to me and has a great selection of blades to choose from along with some scales. Locally owned and great people to deal with. https://woodworldtx.com/

Last edited:

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
If I can add onto Chuck's question to all you experienced knife makers: there are a lot of different steel types listed for knife blanks. Are there certain types you recommend or certain types to definitely stay away from? I wanted to make a couple chef knives for Christmas gifts last year and the knife chemistry got kind of confusing.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
If I can add onto Chuck's question to all you experienced knife makers: there are a lot of different steel types listed for knife blanks. Are there certain types you recommend or certain types to definitely stay away from? I wanted to make a couple chef knives for Christmas gifts last year and the knife chemistry got kind of confusing.
Pick a 5-6 lower cost blades that you can experiment with as you get started. Pick a style that you will used quite a bit. There is a learning curve and you will mess up a few as you learn. It's better to do that with blanks that don't cost much. Use those knives for a while and you will find things about them that you would do different on the next ones. After you've done this for a while then start with the higher quality / cost blades.

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
I've put handles on a bunch of knives - several fixed blade sheath for camping and fishing; a full set of steak knives for my daughter. I'm not worried about messing up a blank (you can always drill out the pins and start over). I'm trying to decide on what steel to get.

JonathanH

Reaction score
First name
Jonathan
For a user I am fond of tool steels. For the kitchen stainless is easy to care for.

The blade makers have been making blades long enough that most of the higher quality offerings are pretty good. This makes it more of a personal preference.

Last edited:

Bear Custom Builds

temet nosce
Reaction score
First name
Connor
It depends on what you intend on using your knife for, I can help you out with specific steels if you want. Just need to know what you planning on doing with the knife once you make it.

Bear Custom Builds

temet nosce
Reaction score
First name
Connor
I have a book that simplifies what the different properties of different steels are and how the different compounds affect the steel. It definitely makes things less confusing. I’ll post pictures tomorrow of the book and some of the pages. I bought this book years ago and it still helps me to this day.

Bear Custom Builds

temet nosce
Reaction score
First name
Connor
@DLJeffs This should be a good start to help you decide what steels you want for buying knife blanks. I know it seems like a lot of information, but its fairly well itemized and explained nicely. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask and I’ll answer to the best of my ability.
7C3608DA-B92F-46A4-9367-872BB81290BE.jpeg
7D4BD767-F4F3-45F6-91A1-DFBB03DD1B0E.jpeg
2A7D7164-7F01-40DA-BD18-4324820BC170.jpeg

9A0D565B-8783-4A92-9F3F-95304FF44F04.jpeg
0FF3E230-B72F-4E4C-9E99-2DCDE507DBEA.jpeg

DLJeffs

Reaction score
First name
Doug
Thanks for taking the time to post all this info Connor, I really appreciate it. I want to make a couple 9 - 10" chef's knives for gifts. Pretty sure they'll keep them out of the dishwasher. Prefer steel that isn't too hard to put a decent edge on. I have a Buck fixed blade that takes for ever to get a good edge on it and it doesn't last any longer than my Case pocketknife. When I researched blanks there were too many steels to figure it out easily. So thanks.

jdowney

Reaction score
First name
John
A few months late, but I'll put in a word for Ragweed Forge for scandi blades. Not many full width tang blanks, but lots of cool blades and damn but they are sharp!