Laguna Resaw King Carbide-Tipped Bandsaw Blade

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, have you put much wood through it in the past month? Curious to see how well it holds that edge.

Well it's hard to quantify because I haven't kept track, but yes I am very tickled about this blade still. I have a big crate of aussie burls (seen below)to go through which I am about to do. Also I am going to dig out some some rock hard 8 year old osage for @Tony today - stuff that I stopped running thriugh my saw several years ago because it dulled my blades way faster than what the wood was worth. I'll see how that goes because even new blades would wave a little in that stuff.

image.jpg

I've already cut enough wood that a carbon or bimetal would have already been dulled and thjs thing still cuts like Greg said .... buttah. I'm a car ide man from here on out.

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Another thing I want to mention is that I siliconed that blade insert to the table so it would not pop out and snag the blade. I have ruined blades on two occasions -1 was not on the saw hardly 5 minutes -because a sliver of wood snagged it at the end and jerked it up into the blade. Made me sick.

I'm not taking any chances on a repeat performance with this blade!

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
Another thing I want to mention is that I siliconed that blade insert to the table so it would not pop out and snag the blade. I have ruined blades on two occasions -1 was not on the saw hardly 5 minutes -because a sliver of wood snagged it at the end and jerked it up into the blade. Made me sick.

I'm not taking any chances on a repeat performance with this blade!

I bought some phenolic aftermarket ones for that same reason. Tony

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
@Kevin that seems like a great blade. I have a 111 inch blade on my Rikon in the 3/4 inch and have been using the re saw blade from Timberwolf. I do not do a huge amount of re saw at this point but expect that I will be doing more in the future. What brand of saw are you running the blade on.? I also noticed that your re saw fence seems to be set perpendicular to the blade ( no adjustment for blade drift ), is that the case? My blade has drift and I am unable to use a fence in that manner and get the results that you are getting. If changing to a carbide blade will do that for me I will be getting one. Thanks in advance for your time and valued knowledge.
pS I do not think you talk funny

Kevin

Wood is good.
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Well bad news. Been meaning to update this. I caught a burl (me sawing it wrong-headed) and it bound up and bent the blade. It's not a terrible bend but it's a bend. It also knocked a tooth off. Just one, which is amazing to me. Turning the wheels by hand usiing a straight edge, indicates about a 3" section which has a 1/16" deflection inward. But it still cuts as well and the kerf is not measurably larger. The surface is markedly rougher then pre-incident.

I haven't called them yet to ask if I should send it in or just keep using it, because I doubt they can take that bend out without cutting it out and brazing in a new section. I tried to take it out and madde a little headway but stopped messing with it for fear of making it worse. SO I am still loving this blade. I am having to push a little harder now when cutting but nothing like even a new carbide or bimetal blade.

I am still in resaw heaven despite my poor judgement on the offending cut.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Well bad news. Been meaning to update this. I caught a burl (me sawing it wrong-headed) and it bound up and bent the blade. It's not a terrible bend but it's a bend. It also knocked a tooth off. Just one, which is amazing to me. Turning the wheels by hand usiing a straight edge, indicates about a 3" section which has a 1/16" deflection inward. But it still cuts as well and the kerf is not measurably larger. The surface is markedly rougher then pre-incident.

I haven't called them yet to ask if I should send it in or just keep using it, because I doubt they can take that bend out without cutting it out and brazing in a new section. I tried to take it out and madde a little headway but stopped messing with it for fear of making it worse. SO I am still loving this blade. I am having to push a little harder now when cutting but nothing like even a new carbide or bimetal blade.

I am still in resaw heaven despite my poor judgement on the offending cut.

This can happen even if you are not screwing up. I was sawing on my Rockwell- I know you know how much power it has- since you have almost the same saw and a piece of 1 1/2 inch persimmon with tension in it closed so hard on blade halfway through cut it stopped it- instantly. Scared the bejeevers out of me. :old::scare3: did the same thing on Jet sawing elder burl. This can happen. Sorry about blade.

Tony

Hardwood Enthusiast
Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Tony
I had my Rockwell 14 pinch up in a piece of 2" white oak. It's a little scary! Tony