Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Laguna revo 18/36 lathe

Discussion in 'Tool Reviews' started by woodtickgreg, Sep 16, 2015.

1. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    Well I finally did it, Woodcraft put it on sale for $250.00 off introductory price and I took the cheese. I have been researching lathes for some time and this one had everything I wanted in a lathe and imo was the best bang for the buck. I will be doing a full review of this lathe as I go along. This is an all new lathe from laguna and designed by them, not just a cookie cutter lathe rebranded with their name on it. I am very impressed with this lathe so far, well thought out and designed and seems to be very well built and heavy duty. 2hp 3 phase motor that runs on 220v single phase power through a vfd inverter. It has 2 speed ranges with a simple quick belt change.

So lets start with some pics! My new baby in the backroom at woodcraft waiting to go home with me.
    20150916_182558.jpg
    So nice to have the guys load the 450lb lathe with a fork lift for me!
    20150916_183002.jpg
    It took 2 of us to slide it off the forks and into the truck.
    20150916_183012.jpg
    Ready to roll!
    20150916_183101.jpg
    I'll be posting more as I go along here. I will try and cover everything from unpacking to assembly, first impressions, etc.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 12
    • Like Like x 2
  2. manbuckwal

manbuckwal Member Full Member

First name:
    Tom
    Congrats Greg !!!! Let the chips fly

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. TimR

TimR Sawdust Engineer Full Member

First name:
    Tim
    Very cool! Look forward to hearing your opinions on it. :good2:

• Like Like x 1
  4. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    Congrats on your new toy Greg, Looks like a dandy!

5. SENC

SENC ... Full Member

First name:
    Henry
    Not up and running, yet?!? Wake up and get busy!

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. Sprung

Sprung Amateur Sawdust Maker Full Member

First name:
    Matt
    Congrats, Greg!

7. Schroedc

Schroedc Trying to kick a nasy sawdust habbit.... Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Colin
    Close the tailgate or it might slide out :sarcastic:

Seriously though, can't wait to see what you think of it after putting through its paces.

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. woodtickgreg

woodtickgreg scroll, flat, spin Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Founding Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Greg
    I'm at work and just have a minute to check in. I got all the pics carried down into the basement yesterday, man is my back sore today! I'm not injured just muscle sore. My first impressions are that it was well packed, very heavy duty and we'll designed, I'll go into more details as I get it assembled. I have never been this excited about a new tool, this is the largest and most expensive tool I have ever bought brand new.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  9. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    I'm going to try and upload a couple of pics from my phone.

This is what it looks like, this is the display at woodcraft. I did not like the wheel kit as it would move when using it, I want it rock solid. But I could see how it would be nice to move it in the store.
    20150323_170320.jpg

This is the vfd that converts single phase power to 3 phase, it will also give more variation to the speed. Unit runs on 220v 15 amp input power.
    20150323_170356.jpg

• Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • Like Like x 3
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 1
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  10. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Cool!

I've been eyeing the nova they have on sale that comes with all the accesories for free and have been itching to buy it but funds are low at the moment.

I also seen this one an boy it looks like a beast of a lathe!

Get it fired up!!!!

11. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
    Awesome Greg!

12. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Bring over and I will show you how to use it!!! :sarcastic:

:nodice: Mine is an expert at collecting dust....:old::yipee:

Nice lathe......

• Funny Funny x 3
  13. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Cody, I have been planning this upgrade for years, looked at and studied every lathe on the market for what I wanted in a lathe and of course the cost factor. Now having said that I truly hope this lathe is everything that I hope it will be. Would I like to have a oneway or a vicmarc or robust or even a powermatic? Sure, but it is not in my budget. This one was and at $2300 on sale it offers a heck of a lot for the money. Fit and finish is excellent, I just finished putting it together and will post pics soon. This is just one more piece of my new shop build and upgrades, it was part of the plan, I even left a space open for it.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  14. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    I'm sure the lathe will treat you well!

I messed with the one at our local WC and it appears to be very well built.

Can't wait to get a review of it once you get it rolling! Or should I say spinning? Lol

• Like Like x 1
  15. NYWoodturner

NYWoodturner Wood Spinner Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Scott
    Congrats Greg! Is it assembled yet? Looking forward to your review.

16. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Yup, pics and review are a coming. lol. I just got done downloading them to the laptop.

• Like Like x 1
  17. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    So lets get the review started. We'll start with the uncrating and packaging because that is important too!

I cut this off the outside of the box because I thought it would be cool to hang on to. It shows the specs and options that are available for it.
    new-lathe-001.jpg

So here we go, opened the box that was stapled and taped, first impression is that it was packed very good! Owners manual was right on top, this should be the first thing you have access to and I did. 1 leg and some loose parts in the first layer of styrofoam.
    new-lathe-002.jpg

After removing the contents of the first layer we get to the second layer with the bed, headstock, tailstock, banjo, and the other leg. The legs are very heavy I might add, substantial cast iron pieces.
    new-lathe-003.jpg

Now there was no way I was going to lift the bed assy out of the box by myself, so I needed to remove both the headstock and tailstock. I cut the end of the box off and removed some foam to slide the parts off the bed.
    new-lathe-004.jpg

In order to get the parts off I had to lift one end and block it up to clear the foam so the clamps would clear. Then each piece slid right off.
    new-lathe-005.jpg

Bed is stripped now and the very nice finish is showing. All of the bare metal parts where coated with oil to protect them.
    new-lathe-006.jpg

Now I was able to lift the bed and lay it on a dolly to take it down the stairs to the basement shop.
    new-lathe-007.jpg

All strapped down and away we go. It was very manageable to move by myself like this.
    new-lathe-008.jpg

And this is where it will go. This is the bottom of the bed, it is a machined fabricated piece and very stout and stiff, as you can see it is braced and welded very nicely.
    new-lathe-009.jpg

I set the bed on saw horses to attach the legs so the bolts could be accessed from the top. The manual said to turn the bed over and set the legs on it and insert the bolts from the bottom. awkward I thought. But it would be doable that way. By the way the manual is very clear, great pictures and descriptions. Most machinery manuals are garbage, this is a well written manual, kudo's Laguna for that.
    new-lathe-010.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  18. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    The lathe is advertised as a polished bed, it's not really polished in the true sense of the word but it does have an excellent micro grind finish. The bed is machined very accurately on all three sides that meet sliding parts.
    new-lathe-011.jpg

So this is how I attached the very heavy legs, I left the bed on the horses and blocked up the legs. Very easy to install the bolts this way. I will say that I was impressed with the fact that anywhere a bolt screwed into the material was extra thick for good thread purchase. The legs are very wide and very stable.
    new-lathe-012.jpg

This is the bottom side of the tail stock. It shows how it can be adjusted for slop in the bed ways if ever need be, from the factory it was perfect.
    new-lathe-013.jpg

This is a closer pic of the adjustment screw and slot, this is in both the headstock and tailstock.
    new-lathe-014.jpg

This is the tail stock quill, which moves very smooth, it is engraved in standard and metric and moves 4 1/2" and is self ejecting. But it also has a through bore. The tailstock locks down super solid and has a long locking lever that is rubber coated, a nice touch.
    new-lathe-015.jpg

It comes with a 12" comfort style rest with a hardened round bar top. All parts of the banjo and tool rest are machined very good and tighten down securely. The tool rest post is offset to the side of the banjo for clearance, another nice touch.
    new-lathe-016.jpg

A side view of the tool rest. It would have been nice to get a 6" rest too, but I'll just make one.
    new-lathe-017.jpg

I heavy headstock to be dollied down the stairs. I carried it from the truck to the landing, I was going to carry it down the stairs, yeah right! Maybe 10 years ago, lol. This mutha is cast iron and a 2 hp 3 phase motor. I don't know what it weighs but my body said no your not! So I got smart in a hurry and strapped it to a dolly.
    new-lathe-018.jpg

And it's down, now to slide it onto the bed. The headstock can be positioned anywhere along the bed, this is great for turning off the end of the bed for the really big stuff and just so you can stand directly in front of your work and not have to bend over. That is a very user friendly feature that I wanted as it is easy on your back.
    new-lathe-019.jpg

Looking like a lathe now, very heavy and solidly built. about 400lbs as she sits but I will add some weight to her.
    new-lathe-020.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  19. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    A good view of the headstock. I like the way the controls are laid out, big red emergency shut of right on top that all you have to do is slap off, I like that. Other nice touches are a magnetic catch for the belt access door. On the right front is a red button for the spindle lock, and it self releases, that's nice. Forward and reverse switch and variable speed with a digital readout. It also has a three step indexing detent on the left. Belt release and tensioner are on the bottom left and quick and easy to use.
    new-lathe-021.jpg B

Nice wide ribbed flat belt, I think it's an 8 or 9 rib.
    new-lathe-022.jpg

Speeds for the 2 ranges are on the door. I think it will go slower than the 50rpm stated because it has a vfd for the motor and can be slowed down with that. That's a nice thing for finishing.
    new-lathe-023.jpg

A better pic of the controls, well thought out and designed with the user in mind in my opinion. It is even at an angle that is easy to see.
    new-lathe-024.jpg

Here you can see the protruding nose of the headstock, this is a nice feature when reversing bowls.
    new-lathe-025.jpg

Comes with a tool caddie too. I chose to mount it in the lower position. It bolts to where a bed extension can be mounted. Which by the way I think a bed extension can be mounted in 5 different places.
    new-lathe-026.jpg

It comes with some nice tools, a brass tipped knock out rod, a spur drive, a live ball bearing cone center, and about a 3" face plate. The face plate is well made and has lots of holes for screws and set screws to secure it to the spindle when reversing. but it is a little small for a lathe with a 18" swing and 32" outboard swing. But I can always get or make more.
    new-lathe-027.jpg

The tool caddie is a nice touch. Red handle is a tool for removing the face plate.
    new-lathe-028.jpg

The manual said that the lathe didn't come with a plug but here it is. 220v 15 amp single phase input.
    new-lathe-029.jpg

It also comes with these brackets for some accessories like lights, and a guard, etc. I chose not to install them yet as they kinda get in the way of the locking handles. That's kinda nit picking but it is a flaw imo. It was a peeve of mine on my last lathe with crummy access to the levers. This lathe has very good access until these brackets are installed.
    new-lathe-030.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 1
  20. woodtickgreg

First name:
    Greg
    Here you can see the brackets for shelves, I will probably use these to add weight to the lathe, weight is good down low on a lathe to keep it from walking with heavy out of balance blanks and to help cancel vibration. You can see the leveling adjusters on the legs, they are metal with plastic caps on the bottom, this is another think I don't like because it will tend to slide around. I will either remove them or set the legs on rubber pads, probably the latter. Again notice that wherever a bolt goes the material is thicker, nice.
    new-lathe-031.jpg

This is on the front of the bed near the headstock, it is another place where you can attach a bed extension, very cool idea!
    new-lathe-032.jpg

The legs are prepped for a mobility kit if you so choose to install one. It was installed on the floor model at the woodcraft store. I'm 5'9" and the mobility kit made it just a little too tall for me, plus I don't want my lathe to move around at all.
    new-lathe-033.jpg

How's this for headstock tailstock alignment from the factory? About perfect I would say, but it's adjustable if it wasn't, another very nice feature.
    new-lathe-035.jpg

Well here she is all ready to go. Boy I wish I could plug it in and tell you all how smooth she is, but that will have to wait untill the weekend as I have to run a 220 line to her.
    new-lathe-034.jpg
    So for now I will say I am very impressed with Lagunas new lathe, they did there homework on this one as far as design goes. It is not just another cookie cutter lathe from the same factory as all the rest and just repainted and badged with their logo. They even offer it in larger sizes but then the cost starts to climb. But really look at what this lathe offers for $2500 retail, darn good value imo and great quality, time will tell.

• Way Cool Way Cool x 4
    • Like Like x 2
Current Time: 6:45 PM