Large Bowl Blanks - any wood (except the overly expensive)

HuntsvilleTurner

Huntsville Woodturning
Reaction score
First name
Bradley
Hello all, I have a client possibly looking for a new bowl to replace an old wooden one if my repairs aren't quite what they're looking for. Does anyone have anything 12x12x3 or 12x12x4 or close to those dimensions? TIA from Texas!

:saw:

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
And I know ya said not overly expensive so that's why I ask... you might be surprised what ya can get from Mike...

HuntsvilleTurner

Huntsville Woodturning
Reaction score
First name
Bradley
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
In dry i probably have granidillo, monkey pod, maple and maybe walnut 3"
Granadillo or Monkey Pod would be great if you have some. I think he may want a darker wood, and I'm not real fond of Walnut in my shop. Could you give me a shot at a price? I'm just trying to have a Plan B, or even a Plan A if he prefers a new bowl over repairing the old one.

Thanks!

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Granadillo or Monkey Pod would be great if you have some. I think he may want a darker wood, and I'm not real fond of Walnut in my shop. Could you give me a shot at a price? I'm just trying to have a Plan B, or even a Plan A if he prefers a new bowl over repairing the old one.

Thanks!
Let me see what i have first

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl
Hello all, I have a client possibly looking for a new bowl to replace an old wooden one if my repairs aren't quite what they're looking for. Does anyone have anything 12x12x3 or 12x12x4 or close to those dimensions? TIA from Texas!

Would it matter if it the bowl blank is green or dried (blanks much thicker than 4 inches will often be green)? I have big cherry blocks 4 or 5 inches thick, but shipping fees can be a major cost factor to consider.

Anyway, I suspect Mike will have something very nice to turn so you might want to get it regardless of your repair job. :treehugger:

-Karl

PS. Post a pic of the repair job so we can see what your up against.

Last edited:

GS-76

Reaction score
First name
Gary
I might have some Myrtle if you are interested in that. I can send pics of some if you are interested.

HuntsvilleTurner

Huntsville Woodturning
Reaction score
First name
Bradley
Would it matter if it the bowl blank is green or dried (blanks much thicker than 4 inches will often be green)? I have big cherry blocks 4 or 5 inches thick, but shipping fees can be a major cost factor to consider.

I prefer to have something dried, most people aren't in the mood for me to rough turn something and let it sit for months before finishing it out. I also don't have a kiln available.

I'm okay with green wood, personally, but the people I encounter just don't appreciate the warping that occurs as it dries out.

HuntsvilleTurner

Huntsville Woodturning
Reaction score
First name
Bradley
I might have some Myrtle if you are interested in that. I can send pics of some if you are interested.

I'd love to see what you have, regardless of this particular job. Shoot me a few pics and a price and I'll see if I can shift some money around.

HuntsvilleTurner

Huntsville Woodturning
Reaction score
First name
Bradley
How dare you! Those are fighting words!!!!:redcard:
I like the way it looks, but I think it stinks and I get a lot of tearout that I can't seem to overcome. This is probably just an issue with my methods, and I'm hoping to learn how to conquer it, but even the small stuff I currently have on hand seems to tear out pretty significantly.

I promise I'm not a wood-ist. :treehugger: I'll turn anything I can get my hands on, but I don't want to pay for something that I have a tendency to screw up.

Bigg081

Connoisseur of Man Glitter
Reaction score
First name
Shane
I like the way it looks, but I think it stinks and I get a lot of tearout that I can't seem to overcome. This is probably just an issue with my methods, and I'm hoping to learn how to conquer it, but even the small stuff I currently have on hand seems to tear out pretty significantly.

I promise I'm not a wood-ist. :treehugger: I'll turn anything I can get my hands on, but I don't want to pay for something that I have a tendency to screw up.
You can send all your Walnut blanks to me!!!! I love the way it smells!
Walnut isn't the easiest wood to work with but its worth it!

Karl_TN

Reaction score
First name
Karl

Bradley, another option you might consider is a roughed turned bowl that's already been dried by someone else. This lighter weight option could help save on shipping cost (for items too big to fit in a USPS Flat Rate Box). Let us know if your interested in this option if your patch doesn't work out.

Also, see my reply on this thread regarding several techniques to speed up drying and lowering chances of your bowl cracking. https://woodbarter.com/threads/its-a-start.37797/#post-517600

-Karl