Lathe extension

Gardnaaa

Reaction score
First name
Zack
Hey everyone. Just bought a 20inch extension for my laguna 1216. I can not get the tail stock to glide easily over the extension. I put wax on the bed, tried locking down the tailstock to pull it together and tighten it, use a little rubber mallet to do light taps from the bottom, and the tailstock is still getting hung up. I feel as this is not a good design because there is no support under the extension itself. I assume it’s because laguna sells a stand for the lathe so it doesn’t have to be used on a table top. The bench it’s on came with my house. It’s a piece of garbage and isn’t level. So I have a strong feeling it has to do with the bench. So I think I’m going to purchase the legs unfortunately. Has anyone had problems like this with Extensions? And is it supposed to be smooth like it’s all one piece? Maybe I’m being too picky. This obviously isn’t my image, just something I grabbed from woodcraft I believe.

AC027EAA-7E06-47EC-956E-F54C2D0514C6.jpeg

4B46B171-A07C-481A-9095-2AAC0658A24B.jpeg

ebill

Reaction score
First name
Bill
- without the tail stock on, put a 4' level on the bed. Is the end of the extension tilted up or down ?

- that should tell you if you need to add a washer to the bottom screw/bolt or the two upper/outside screw/bolts to make it level. Just a thought ...... if its level, how could it 'catch' on the tail stock?

- ebill

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
One thing to look at if it's hanging up on the extension only is any rough areas on underside of extension where the puck comes into contact. If necessary, file the extension on the underside, sand it and then wipe down with WD40, or wax or other lubricant of your choice. Don't do any filing or grinding on the top of the extension table...except...corners that might be rough. There should be an adjustment for the puck which translates to how much you have to rotate the lockdown bar...if you have enough adjustment available to loosen a bit it will also possibly help the problem.

Last edited:

duncsuss

Trying to turn a little better each day
Reaction score
First name
Duncan
I've been thinking about getting an extension bed for my Nova 1624 and have read the installation instructions to find out something about the procedure.

They say to start with the tailstock on the bed, and to mount but not tighten the bolts of the extension. Then slide the tailstock so it's half on the old bed and half on the extension, and lock it in that position before tightening up the bolts fastening the extension to the bed. That should ensure the top surface of the extension matches the existing ways and there won't be a catch.

Did you have to do something similar?