Lazy Susan X2 X2 Old Growth SA Mahogany

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
Larry @FranklinWorkshops , thank you for finding those 10 inch pieces.

Gifts for my daughter and daughter in law, that were gong to be Christmas presents but life happens...

So all plates were 5/4 minus some cleaning up. Bottom plates are 17", top plates are 10", fruit platters are 15". Fruit platters are concave. Middle spindle is 3X6 and 3X5.5. Center feature on top is a 10 mm cabbed garnet on one and 8 mm cabbed blue gold stone (close ups weren't working). Finished in tung oil and then waxed. Heavy ball bearing aluminum table inset into the platters to reduce profile. Spindles are held in by ss carriage bolts trimmed on the threaded side to fit the lower and upper plates, which I used bottle stopper inserts for threading. 1.5" of carriage bolt is inserting into spindle to hopefully prevent breaking over the years. Both were kept heavy as there will be 5 grand kids visiting both houses and they are not necessarily gentle. LOL

LS Final Stages.jpg LS Final Stages 1.jpg LS Final Stages 2.jpg

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
Wow Mo, those are fantastic. When you said concave, I was expecting something more. Very nice. Will bookmark this thread!!! Glad you are back with it. No, the pun was NOT meant.......back issues are nothing to joke about!

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Mo, those are fantastic. When you said concave, I was expecting something more. Very nice. Will bookmark this thread!!! Glad you are back with it. No, the pun was NOT meant.......back issues are nothing to joke about!
yeah, concave in a 5/4 platter is a little misleading. slopes a bit to center while the other is pretty much scooped out with a slight inward slant. Idea was for apples and oranges to migrate towards center instead of the edges... it is good to be back to turning all day when I have the time. :yipee::sarcastic::good2:

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
These are fantastic Mo and I'm sure will be treasured for years to come, if not for generations!

Where did you get the heavy duty lazy susan hardware from, and are you pleased with it?

barry richardson

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Barry
Beauty, I love the classic look of mahogany. I'm also curious where you sourced the bearings....

ripjack13

ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Marc
Wow. Mo those look stunning. Well done sir....

Diver Temple

Reaction score
First name
Mo
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
These are fantastic Mo and I'm sure will be treasured for years to come, if not for generations!

Where did you get the heavy duty lazy susan hardware from, and are you pleased with it?
Steve and @barry richardson , I got the turn table off of Amazon

TROOPS BBQ Lazy Susan Turntable Ring -​

The one I used for proportion and hopefully standing up to grand kids is the 12" turn table (rated to 300 lbs):unknown: on a 17 inch plate. It is very stable, has silicon stoppers, and doesn't lend itself to being spun continuously like a toy, but it turns smoothly enough to keep things in place when it's turned. I am happy with it, but definitely thicker than I would have preferred; but cutting a groove for it helped.

Steve in VA

Reaction score
First name
Steve
Steve and @barry richardson , I got the turn table off of Amazon

TROOPS BBQ Lazy Susan Turntable Ring -​

The one I used for proportion and hopefully standing up to grand kids is the 12" turn table (rated to 300 lbs):unknown: on a 17 inch plate. It is very stable, has silicon stoppers, and doesn't lend itself to being spun continuously like a toy, but it turns smoothly enough to keep things in place when it's turned. I am happy with it, but definitely thicker than I would have preferred; but cutting a groove for it helped.

Thanks for the info!

Steve Smith

Reaction score
First name
Steve
There are too many of us out there. A few decades ago I was driving the long lonely stretch of road from college to home and was stopped by a state trooper for going 60 in a 55. He looks at my license and starts laughing. A female trooper replaces him and asks if I know why he was laughing. "No." says I. That's trooper Steve Smith says she. Got off with a warning.