Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Learn from my mistakes

Discussion in 'Shipping Information' started by Mr. Peet, Mar 1, 2019.

1. Mr. Peet

Mr. Peet Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Mark
    In late January 2019, our son came east with his family so our grandson could have his first birthday with us. Awesome. Having family in 2 general locations, we had a birthday party for my side in PA and wife's side in Central NY. Even though the kids asked for gift cards to simply things, many small gifts arrived.

So from the two gatherings, the kids sorted what they could fit in their plane luggage. For the remaining we priced UPS, Fed -Ex and USPS. All similar, but USPS flat rate boxes worked out just a little cheaper and had the automatic insurance. So we thought we knew what we were doing.

Two weeks later, son informs us it would have been $30 for an extra luggage bag to fly versus the $80 spent on USPS flat rate shipping.

At this point we had already boxed the 'Toy Tote' wagon and another box of our son's childhood items and sent them UPS, being assured by my brother, UPS was the only affordable way. The Toy Tote would have been too big for the plane restrictions, so UPS was the cheaper route (compared to USPS), but the other box could have been their second extra $30 luggage bag (1 per adult) versus the $60 spent with UPS.

Then came surcharges. Turns out, in many Colorado towns, UPS does not deliver to homes, they go to the post office. If it is too large a package for the post office, it goes to the local UPS Store. The store notifies the post office, the post office notifies the box holder, then they go to the UPS store. So, UPS charges for the additional transportation. One of the 2 packages they charged an additional $36 to return to sender, even though our son picked up both packages. I thought it was interesting that it cost $41.25 to ship out and they were charging $36 to return. So my brother lost another hour today (and 1 last night) trying to get to speak to an English speaking UPS rep to get surcharges defined, and return fee back credited. Really sorry I asked for a favor to ship a few packages. Still not resolved.

On a positive, in the future we can send packages 20 miles further west to a bigger town to our son's in-law's house where UPS will deliver, at a cheaper cost.

2. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Yep- location has big impact on price. I do not use UPS - have fed ex account. print labels at hope for both Fed-ex and USPS

3. Arn213

Arn213 craM de la craM # RipJack City! Full Member

First name:
    Arn
    Ah, surcharges on top of base shipping:unknown:. It basically pick your poison type of deal. FedEx home delivery is great that they deliver on Saturdays. Cons is maximum 70 pounds. UPS on the other hand, they only deliver weekdays, if you want a Saturday deliver there is a surcharge, but they will do a max of 150 pounds. Fair warning, if you ever had to have a declared value with both shipping carrier, I would use extreme caution when using their ground service with high ticketed items. I had both instances had a delivery damaged- I didn’t ship it, but the vendor did. The amp had wood dovetail joints and was destroyed by UPS. FedEx on the other hand damaged a guitar. You will have to fight tooth and nail- the sender that is to get them to make a pay out on the declared value......it is not “insurance”. If they see no damaged by outside the exterior or you did not provide enough cushioning or space around the object as specified by their regulations, then you are $h*t out of luck.

The post office the other hand on over size packages that are on the heavier size (subjective)- let us just say, they would never be my first choice due to higher price and because I end up going to pick up my packages instead of them delivering it to me- I could be home and I would get a slip for pick up! They do handle guitar shipments pretty well. They are quick about it whenever being sent internationally (different story with the 2 other couriers). There insurance is actually insurance!

Anything expensive such as guitars and amps, never should be shipped ground. Seems to get handled better via air whether it is next day or 2 day.

4. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    I think max on Fed ex is 149 lbs

5. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    and they are right- no damage outside -inside should not be their problem. otherwise people would just put glass in box and blame them. I have shipped antique glass to Aus. intact.

6. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    Residential is 70 pounds max.

7. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    funny- I just got a package last week at 120 lbs. and they PU all the time over 70 lbs.

8. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    FedEx “residential home delivery” at 70 pounds max. 100 percent positive on that.

567F2676-F731-4E74-8697-C32969FCF8F7.png

9. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    Wondering if that is from commercial to commercial or commercial to residential or vice versa:ponder:. Part of the reason that I end up switching carriers when package is over 70 pounds.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    I am res.- usually ship to Res. Biz to biz is cheaper. I take to terminal usually but when they get heavy I have them PU- costs me $4 but they will PU as many boxes as I have on porch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    Maybe that goes to a different tier with added surcharge? I am confuse and not confused. $ 4 when you have an account is a 1/3rd of the price and if you don’t have an account, I believe pickup is in the neighborhood of $ 14 plus.

12. Arn213

First name:
    Arn
    Mike you are not wrong as well, I did find a 150 pound max via FedEx. Wonder what the criteria is or surcharge? I know after 150 pounds, the freight charge kicks in (ouch).

6059B799-D199-4BEB-88A9-509260DFA2A1.png

13. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike

14. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    probably is the fed ex ground- but it still delivers res

15. Mike1950