Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Let's see if this will work....

Discussion in 'Veneering' started by Schroedc, May 29, 2015.

1. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Colin
    So I've been needing a vacuum bag to do some veneering to finish up a project for my wife, Nothing too complicated, just apply veneer to several panels and then insert into door frames, no complex curves to deal with.

A guy I know was cleaning out and knew I was planning to buy or build a bag and he had a couple air bladders/mattress from one of those magic sleep number beds that he was going to throw out. We figured that if they hold air in they might hold air out and they are canvas reinforced plus they have a fitting to attach the vac line to already built in. I'm going to be using cauls made from sheets of corian so I didn't need a perfectly smooth inside surface.

First I cut off the end opposite the fitting and turned it inside out, splitting the baffles as I went being careful to not puncture the bladder, I then took and removed the flaps left from the baffles, I probably could have left them but I figured they'd get in the way.

Now I just need to get the cauls made and figure out a closure. I'm thinking of rolling around a rod and making a PVC clip like the crafters use for quilt frames, I might even have an old quilt frame in the garage I could just take one of the sides off of.......

Any input is appreciated as I go through this. If it works well I've got a second one of these to do this with if I want....

2015-05-29 10.40.03.jpg 2015-05-29 11.00.23.jpg 2015-05-29 11.13.04.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  2. Kevin

Kevin Wood is good. Staff Member Administrator Global Moderator Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Kevin
    :popcorn:

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Schroedc

Schroedc Apprentice Saw Maker Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Colin
    It's been a while but here we are finally hooked up to a pump and sucking down..... For now I used a couple pieces of wood and three clamps for a closure. Did find I had to throw a block of wood near the fitting as it wanted to suck the bag over the end and seal the fitting before the rest of the bag was sucked down, we'll let it run a few hours and take a look at the finished product.........

2015-08-17 12.49.49.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Way Cool Way Cool x 2
  4. ripjack13

ripjack13 ɹǝʇɹɐqpooʍ Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Marc
Current Time: 6:25 PM