Lilac

keepanionme

Reaction score
First name
Jim
My parents have a lilac bush that's pretty big. It's been infested by a colony of really big bees again this year - the smallest of the ones that have been killed are an inch long with the biggest being almost 2 1/2".

I think my mom is with the idea of removing it. I've seen lilac on here before and would love to take some of it, but questioned how to go about it and what to get. It's a pretty big bush, but I can't say for sure how thick the branches are as it's covered in leaves and really big bees at the moment.

It's probably 5-6 feet tall so I'm guessing there's a pretty nice ball of roots under it? I've never done any digging for a root ball but think this may have some potential, once those bees are gone. Any tips would be welcome.

001.JPG

keepanionme

Reaction score
First name
Jim
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Actually, I do. They are actually Asian Killer Hornets. Bad, very bad, creatures. They kill regular bees. My parents used to have a lot of wild flowers that grow during the summer. With these things around, they kill the bees that pollinate everything.

002.JPG

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I Did not know they where in this country.

keepanionme

Reaction score
First name
Jim
They've had them the last 2 or 3 years. The ones in the pictures are the small ones. The bigger ones have a wingspan of about 4-5 inches. I would certainly hate to get hit by these things. I couldn't imagine how bad it would hurt!

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Do you have honeybees in the area? If not... mix up some simple syrup, 50%water/50% sugar, stir in some Sevin Garden insecticide. Sevin is slow acting, it will allow them to take it back to the nest and feed it to the brood. May not take them all out, but it'll knock them back if you keep it out where they can get at it. Just want to be careful if you have any bees around.

Nature Man

Reaction score
First name
Chuck
Keep us posted on your progress. Once you have those flying devils exterminated, anxious to see the lilac wood. Chuck

keepanionme

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Do you have honeybees in the area? If not... mix up some simple syrup, 50%water/50% sugar, stir in some Sevin Garden insecticide. Sevin is slow acting, it will allow them to take it back to the nest and feed it to the brood. May not take them all out, but it'll knock them back if you keep it out where they can get at it. Just want to be careful if you have any bees around.

Thanks for the info, Rocky. I'll pass that along to my dad. The only problem is getting close enough to apply the mixture. Dad can't run as fast as he used to, my brothers are chicken, and I'm allergic. Dad's been driving next to the bush, putting the window down a bit, spraying the commercial bee killing spray that shoots 25 ft, and they flooring it when the hornets start to come out.

These things killed the bees that were around. They used to have carpenter bees and honey bees all over their property. Every year, there were lots of flowers along the trees. Ever since these things have been around, none of that has happened and all the bees are gone. After finding out what they were, turns out, these hornets are responsible for killing the various bees.

After this is done, I'm hoping mom will still want to part with the bush.

Karda

Reaction score
First name
Mike
do it at night, they don't fly at night when it is dark. Make sure you put plenty out yuou don't want to go out there more than you need to

Last edited:

Spinartist

Reaction score
First name
Lee
Lilac wood is beautiful!! Can have purple streaks through it & it smells like Lilacs when cutting it. Rootball is worth digging up!

It cracks badly while drying.

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I'd like to see pics of the big ones just to see what species they are. Thank god the only ones we have here in Michigan are bald faced hornets and they are bad enough, mean little bastards. The big ones that you are describing almost sound like the giant hornets of japan, I hope they never make their way here, they will kill every bee in a hive just to get to the larvae to feed their own.

keepanionme

Reaction score
First name
Jim
I'll see if I can get pictures of the bigger ones.

Lee, I think you're right. It certainly does look like the European hornet. Thanks for the info!

These things are relentless. They are just as aggressive at night as they are in the day. I'll definitely pass along the info to call the agricultural board and see what help they can be.

Thanks for all the info!