Little Bit of Walnut Sawing

Allen Tomaszek

Reaction score
First name
Allen
This was a batch of walnut that was sawn up about a week ago from some urban logs I was able to salvage. I was able to get 6 decent logs. Here are a couple that turned out real nice. The square edge boards came out at 8/4 and 13" wide. The live edge material was 10' long and 18-20" wide. Not bad for city trees!

IMG_1145.JPG IMG_1150.JPG IMG_1153.JPG IMG_1157.JPG IMG_1160.JPG IMG_1162.JPG

Allen Tomaszek

Reaction score
First name
Allen
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks everyone. The lumber is looking pretty nice so far. Got a couple of funky ones from the same project to saw next like this one here. 28" base and maybe 20" at the crotch. There's also a crotch on the other side. The whole thing is only 6' long but thought we could get something cool out of it.

IMG_1045.JPG IMG_1047.JPG

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
I never tire of seeing pics like these, can't get enough! Crotchy logs yield crotchy figure!

JR Parks

Reaction score
First name
Jim
Good looking lumber for sure and hopefully no metal. And the smell of fresh sawn green walnut ahhhhh

woodtickgreg

scroll, flat, spin
Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Founding Member
Forum Moderator
Reaction score
First name
Greg
Allen, I never tire of seeing your milling adventures. I can smell the walnut from here! If I lived close to you I would come and work with you just for the pure joy of milling, love it. And thats a beautiful sight of all that lumber stacked and stickered.
Thanks for sharing these pics with us!

Allen Tomaszek

Reaction score
First name
Allen
Well you know what they say... If there are no pics then it didn’t happen. Just doin my part to keep it real.

Gdurfey

Reaction score
First name
Garry
I ended up with two beautiful slabs (pics to follow sometime) from a year and a half ago. Arborist was doing a sawmill demo and our turning club ended up shelling out cash for gorgeous wood. Anyway, I just wanted pretty wood, so I ended up with slabs about 3 to 3.5 inches thick. Now that time has gone by, would love both of them to be resawn and am having trouble finding someone around the Springs to do it. Looking at your operation I believe you could support them off the bed of the mill and accomplish the task. Just wish you were a bit closer, would really like to hire you!!! Great looking operation.

Allen Tomaszek

Reaction score
First name
Allen
Thanks! It’s a lot of fun. I’m sure there’s a Sawyer by you somewhere. When you get those slabs sawn up post a couple of pictures.

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Have you checked Craigslist Garry? Several of the little local mills down here advertise slabs for sale; not many advertise sawmill services. Usually find them under the Materials section. They advertise the lumber, then have a short paragraph about performing sawmill services.