Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Live edge wood pricing.

Discussion in 'General Trade Discussions' started by lonewolf, Dec 28, 2018.

1. lonewolf

lonewolf Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Martin
    I would just like some opinions.
    I see premium (10.00 and up) prices on FB and other venues . As example 14 " regular ordinary walnut , live edge ( means not edged or sap bark removed) including the pith, fresh cut not dried. Over 10.00 bf. Now I appreciate the look of live edge sometimes have used myself .But wood prepared in this way is way less labor and waste factor than wood thats sawn, edged ,kiln dried, graded.and inventoried for me to purchase at at 7.00 bf or less. Are you guys supporting these outrageous prices just because it's live edge?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    I do not charge 10 bd ft for live edge walnut 14" wide. But thicker wider and booked 24" x 2+ dry will get premium price. 15-20 bd ft would be good

3. lonewolf

lonewolf Member Full Member Thread Starter

First name:
    Martin
    I agree Mike the extrs wide and dry is a big factor .drying large slabs takes a lot of time and the one drying also assumes the risk . So you've earned the premium price

4. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
    Live edge walnut is much lower than $10 around here. Straight from the kiln, it is $5 to $6 at most for walnut, according to grade and width. If surfaced, cut into certain lengths and packaged for shipment, that adds labor and increases the price. If you post what you're looking for in the "want to buy" forum, we'll all bid for your business. Shipping costs is the issue and it's only getting worse at the end of January with the USPS rates going up.

5. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Local guy here is wildly priced if he thinks it's a good looking mantel piece. But he will sell 4s stuff cheaper than rough sawn... hes mostly 5 bucks a foot for all species and even curly wood unless it's a prized mantel....

6. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    See the same ridiculous bull pucky down here. I think a lot of these guys are people that really don't know what they're doing, acquired a sawmill and saw other boards priced for that and think their's are as good, when they aren't. No... Do NOT support them at all.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
  7. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike

Yes, but shipping slabs from Pa. To west coast takes you out of game. I really do not like big slabs. Too hard to deal with. Comparing prices you have to take location into consideration. Walnut is all over the board across CONUS. Also steam kiln dried, worth considerably less. West coast walnut carries a premium. It should, looks better. JMO worth what yall paid for it.

8. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Yeah, shipping is a big issue and not worth the effort. I don't deal is large slabs for that reason. None of my wood was dried in a steam kiln. That degrades the color and artificially colors the sapwood to make it less of a contrast. I actually prefer selling air-dried walnut and most of my local customers prefer it also. Claro walnut is beautiful and nothing like Eastern Black but both have their places. Here in the East, I hard ever see furniture made with Claro. Probably opposite of what you see on the West coast.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  9. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    One can only sell if someone else is willing to buy. The art of the deal is to know the true value of what you have to potential buyers. For example, I sell boxes of scrap hardwoods on my Etsy site. Six lbs will fit in a Regional Rate A box which will ship from me to the West Coast for $10 or $7 for the East Coast. My price on Etsy is $23 with free shipping. As soon as I put a box on my site, it sells within a few days. This is scrap like is shown in this photo. But people who live in cities and don't have access to this stuff gladly pay the price per lb to get it for their craft work. So I net at least $13 for 6 lbs of scrap which is more than I get for premium cherry or walnut boards if sold by the lb. So it all depends on how much your customer values your offer.

DSC_2120.JPG

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    Claro is probably the most miss used walnut term on the planet. I wont used kd(steamed) walnut. I like color of air/dehumid kiln walnut. East or west. My bench is Missouri walnut. Love the solid color

11. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    I agree about Missouri. I've also had a load that was from Iowa. Gorgeous stuff. That river bottom land is good for walnut. It grows all over the place here. I've got two trees on the edge of my yard. Nasty tree to mow around with all the nuts and hulls.

• Like Like x 1
  12. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Not sure about your comment on Claro. This is the wood I was talking about. http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/walnut, claro.htm
    As Paul mentions, it's also called California Walnut. Is there another walnut that grows in your area?

• Like Like x 1
  13. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    I have multiple species of walnut growing around me. But i do not live in Ca. Hell i will not even travel there. Another subject. Abybody gets a nice piece of figured colored walnut and "upgrades" it to claro. That is what i mean. Claro is oversold as a timber. More gets sold than has grown..

14. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Maybe so. But I've worked both and the smell is entire different. Can't fake that. Claro is also more dusty when cutting and it seems to not have the same density as Eastern Black.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    I have worked with a lot of walnut. Claro, english, black etc. I think where it has grown has much more to do with difference than species sometimes. I can not smell difference nor notice dust.

16. barry richardson

barry richardson Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Barry
    There are a few guys with mills around here, and they sell a lot on craigslist, they are way overpriced IMO. But natural edge tables and such are popular now, I think a lot of the people who are paying the high price are novices who want to do a quick project that is hip, just sand the slab, put some hair pin legs on it, and they are an instant furniture maker:sarcastic:

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    I am glad you said it instead of - Mr Big mouth Me.......

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    and please clarify dustier. I do not understand that statement??

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Mike1950

First name:
    Mike
    • EyeCandy! EyeCandy! x 2
  20. gman2431

gman2431 Member Full Member

First name:
    cody
    Not much of an "art of the deal" when you sell yourself short on items... also not much of an art to just overpricing stuff either

Current Time: 12:34 AM