Dismiss Notice
Woodbarter has upgraded to HTTPS. Please see click here for all the details.

Live edge wood pricing.

Discussion in 'General Trade Discussions' started by lonewolf, Dec 28, 2018.

1. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    There are some slabs in oregon, planted in 1860. 8' wide, 10k$ and they will sell them 2-300 bd ft in a slab. Makes my back hurt just lookin at the pictures.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. rocky1

rocky1 Creator of Shavings and Sawdust! Full Member

First name:
    Rocky
    No these were nothing of monster proportions, nor exceptional character. They were just unfinished walnut lumber with ridiculous prices attached.

Not saying all are that way here either, there are a few down here that mill a lot of lumber, cut a lot of it into firewood, and sell the truly good stuff in slab dimensions; but there are a lot of them down here that are ridiculous.

3. FranklinWorkshops

FranklinWorkshops Member Full Member

First name:
    Larry
    Those are for very expensive conference room tables for companies who have lots of spare cash. One of the Mennonite owned mills near me cuts slabs like this. He only buys 40"+ diameter logs and saws them through and through to get these huge slabs. His customers are mostly in New York City and they make these $20,000 + conference room tables. I was there one day when a NYC guy came in and bought 22 slabs, all 12-20 ft long.

4. David Van Asperen

David Van Asperen Member Full Member

First name:
    David
    FTA could start now as far as I am concerned.
    I don't care which party you favor they both and or all need to be reset

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. myingling

myingling Member Full Member

First name:
    mike
    it amazes me what i see some blanks and wood go for on alot FB groups LOL But if thats what a person is willing to pay good for the seller . Live edge slabs do go up in price can even see that in my local area ,, i just got a 8 ft by 15in 2 in thick slab with a crotch Ash wood lots figure for $50.00 cutting all the figure up for pot call blanks figure i can get 40 blanks from the figured stuff so it works out for me . Now take my neighbor for example hollered down other day and said come check my bar out . He seen first face book add some one selling walnut slabs paid $435 for a bar top slab walnut i was shocked say the least he never realy dealt with wood so he felt it was good deal

here is little example what i can find it the local area lots mills around and most will help find some figured stuff
    IMG_9228.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  6. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Those are good prices for the most part but I have a hard time believing his air-dried lumber is at 10% if he keeps it outside under a tarp. Equilibrium in Pa is 12%, even on the easily dried woods like walnut. A person in PA could never get white oak and ash to 10% air-dried. Maybe in Arizona that is possible. Suggest you take your own moisture meter with you if buying from him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Trying to converse with one I found the other day to set meeting time. He's about half way between me and Lou. Had ad for spalted pecan slabs, $6/board foot. Told him I was looking for bowl blanks, and he said he had a few small burl that were spalted and would make some beautiful bowls as well. $6/bf with the colors he showed in pictures was a realistic price. And, he offered to kiln dry them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Mike1950

Mike1950 Founding Member Founding Member Full Member

First name:
    Mike
    Nothing anywhere close to those prices here. but those species only grow here in yards.

9. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Around here, Rick Hearne is well known as a premium lumber dealer. He has the best of each species. Here is a link to his price list. These prices would be the upper end of what you would pay in this area. I've known Rick for a long time and he sells all over the USA and ships by common carrier. He requires a $300 minimum purchase for his guys to prepare the shipment. Every time I'm up there, he has many bundles waiting for the carrier to pick up. You can count on his honesty and lumber grading, in my experience. I live about 15 miles from his business. http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/hardwoods/pricelist/pricelist.html

• Sincere Sincere x 1
  10. myingling

First name:
    mike
    yes i think any wood worker would have enough sense to figure that out Ha i store lots wood in garage not heat moisture goes up and down only good thing its not enough to make it check ,, The way its been raining here all summer and winter so far another 1in or so today every thing is damp wet iam ready to move arizona lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. FranklinWorkshops

First name:
    Larry
    Mike, where in PA do you live? I'm in the extreme Southeast corner near Delaware and Maryland.

• Like Like x 1
  12. myingling

First name:
    mike
    central pa little more west cambria county

13. Patrude

Patrude Member Full Member

First name:
    Rich
    As basic as you can get in pricing factoring is e er board is unique to itself. That baseline is where it all starts. You're going to get everything from firewood to 5 star timber from every. Price is determined by what the market will support. Speaking for myself I like to buy my wood off the saw as much as possible. Biggest consideration with that is the work I'm willing to put into it. Being cheap I don't lend support to inflated pricing. It's worth it for me to shop around. Average good quality Walnut boards at 10$ a foot would be priced too high for my shop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. El Guapo

El Guapo Moderator Staff Member Global Moderator Forum Moderator Full Member

First name:
    Andrew
    Reminds me of the burl craze that seemed to hit Craigslist a couple of years ago. Every dingus who came across a burl while clearing land or taking down a tree in their yard thought they struck a gold mine. It didn't matter the species, size, condition, and they sure weren't processing it or sealing it properly.

15. rocky1

First name:
    Rocky
    Still get those on there occasionally too; just ran across a few of them in the Georgia listings up around Atlanta somewhere, not long ago. Supposed burls looked more like healed over limbs, not dry, weighed maybe 5 - 10 lbs, they weren't real big, but he wanted hundreds of dollars for them.

16. FLQuacker

FLQuacker Member Full Member

First name:
    Wayne
    The big slab company here is Advantage Lumber. They have a few other stores, I think one in the NE and also established in Brazil. That's were they get a lot of their trees from. They got 2 LT70's that are running every time I visit.

The slab business is nuts right now for them. Has been a few years and no drop off yet.

Sure there's a few local pickups, but most get trucked around I guess. Probably back overseas as well.

That reminds me, having a big hardwood sale tomorrow. NE store is revamping to do flooring more and suppose to have truckloads of stuff here!

17. Gary Schuler

Gary Schuler Member Full Member

First name:
    Gary
    The Myrtle I get is figured and up to 10’ long and up to 40” wide. The price is 12.00 to 28.00 bdft, depending on length and figure. How I figure price is based on a few factors. Such as the price of a Bandill and a rough terrain 4x4 scissor lift, chainsaws. gas, oil, blades. Figure how much an hour it cost’s to run everything and then add in my labor cost’s. Next is the cost of equipment to level and flatten. Spray for bugs and stickers and covers.
    It is a lot of work to go from tree to slab, not to mention the limb cleanup costs. I know what it is worth to me and my customers. I check prices all the time from low to high and see it go from 48.00 to 10.00.
    Makes no sense to give it away, but you have to be competitive in your pricing,but you could always buy your own equipment and do it yourself for free. !!! Lol

• Like Like x 1
Current Time: 12:16 PM