Live edge wood pricing.

gman2431

Reaction score
First name
cody
Exactly my point. The "art" is knowing what the true value is to the customer and pricing the product accordingly.

Not my point... my point is he could charge me double and I'd still pay it... there's no art to saying that mantel piece is 400 bucks for straight maple then sell me curly maple for 6 bucks and cherry for 3.

Hes just following fads

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
Not my point... my point is he could charge me double and I'd still pay it... there's no art to saying that mantel piece is 400 bucks for straight maple then sell me curly maple for 6 bucks and cherry for 3.

Hes just following fads
But if he has customers lined up to pay 400 for a mantle and he can't sell curly maple for more than 6 or cherry for more than 3, then he has determined the value of those boards to his customers. If he thought he could get more, I'm sure he would be charging it. The internet is a good source for pricing information on what other dealers are getting for their wood.

FranklinWorkshops

Reaction score
First name
Larry
so which one above is claro- I can see why I never noticed dust- 1. I have DC 2. My eyes are not good enough to grade dust
No idea. All could be Claro and none could be. Figure is very variable in each specie, which is your point. You rarely see Eastern Black with the tiger strip figure as distinctive as what you show so I would say that is definitely not Eastern Black.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
No idea. All could be Claro and none could be. Figure is very variable in each specie, which is your point. You rarely see Eastern Black with the tiger strip figure as distinctive as what you show so I would say that is definitely not Eastern Black.
Yep- all are eastern Black grown in west- defining difference is soil- climate and elevation. None came from coast. all came from east of Cascade Mts. And ALL from Washington or Idaho.... and wood from most of these batches got sold to brick and mortar wood sellers and ............. you guessed it............... They turned into................ CLARO...... Most Miss used abused Lied about term in the walnut world......

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Oh yeah, super nice. I'm supposed to touch base with @Mike1950 tomorrow to put in an order. Probably have to add some to my order :).
I am back- Tired- 850 miles- 5 passes each way- Yesterday towing trailer roads were bad to good- today lucked out- 3/4 ton cruises at 70-80 and got home early. I am too old to be movin kids But- Kids are a life sentence- No time off for good behavior and besides that we love her..... But I am tired....

B Rogers

Reaction score
First name
Bryson
I bet... I'd be worn out too. We moved 7 times before finally building a house and staying put. I despise moving. I've helped move my sister to college and then to grad school so I definitely feel your pain. But I wouldn't hesitate either if the kids needed me.

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
I bet... I'd be worn out too. We moved 7 times before finally building a house and staying put. I despise moving. I've helped move my sister to college and then to grad school so I definitely feel your pain. But I wouldn't hesitate either if the kids needed me.
I have not moved for 30 yrs . Moving for me now - well it would take a major miracle- actually 2 of them. First convincing Kathie and second- Yikes probably 20-30 tons of wood...... then the tools- stuff- kids stuff- etc etc etc .......................

David Van Asperen

Reaction score
First name
David
Good info
I am in the middle of South Dakota it is not treeless but there are not as many trees as a lot of you see and there are not many mills near me . The Black Hills ares does milling , mostly pine. That being said, I joined Wood Barter to learn how to set up a dehumidifier kiln ( had a chain saw mill ) small one and I could not find lumber that was not priced crazy high, most was 3/4" s4s and in a box store . The other option was to drive 200-300 miles to get some locally grown and milled wood .
I started to see what was out there because you guys were posting , and selling and trading this array of wood that is not available here
Bought a manual band saw mill to try and harvest something other than pine. So the urban trees at leas give me some variety NO BURLS ( another whine session there) but it does give me a chance at a 12/4 slab live edge and other options But I still don't see much walnut just not a very abundant tree around here so when someone has one that is being taken out of their yard for whatever reason they seem to think it is very valuable
For God sake I said all that to say supply and demand are still two very prominent players in price

rocky1

Creator of Shavings and Sawdust!
Reaction score
First name
Rocky
Agree on the supply and demand David, but down here we have trees everywhere. Eastern Red Cedar is about as common as fleas on a dog's back, walnut is fairly common, pecan is everywhere, sycamore isn't uncommon, and still these guys want $400 - $500 for a 12/4 slab 6 - 8ft. long. Saw a walnut slab listed the other day, that was plain straight grained walnut, absolutely nothing fancy, wasn't but one branch on it, wanted $400. But the guy down the road had some killer slabs, that were longer, highly figured, and maybe worth it, so the other guy figures his is walnut too, so...

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Agree on the supply and demand David, but down here we have trees everywhere. Eastern Red Cedar is about as common as fleas on a dog's back, walnut is fairly common, pecan is everywhere, sycamore isn't uncommon, and still these guys want $400 - $500 for a 12/4 slab 6 - 8ft. long. Saw a walnut slab listed the other day, that was plain straight grained walnut, absolutely nothing fancy, wasn't but one branch on it, wanted $400. But the guy down the road had some killer slabs, that were longer, highly figured, and maybe worth it, so the other guy figures his is walnut too, so...
how wide- I ask because the premium is in the width.

Last edited:

CWS

Reaction score
First name
Curt
I am back- Tired- 850 miles- 5 passes each way- Yesterday towing trailer roads were bad to good- today lucked out- 3/4 ton cruises at 70-80 and got home early. I am too old to be movin kids But- Kids are a life sentence- No time off for good behavior and besides that we love her..... But I am tired....
What good are parents if you can't use them?:lol2:

Mike1950

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reaction score
First name
Mike
Right. Wife and I will be paying our daughter's bills in January because she is on "furlough" from the Fed Government while all the congressional children throw their temper fits and stomp their feet.
it will be interesting how long this goes on. at a certain point I think we should start the FTA movement. Fire Them All. get a congress that will work for We the people and not for their own self interests....