Log 1: Chain 0

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
Trying to get a slab to cut blanks from this OLD Mesquite trunk. Was going along fine, saw some sparks— nothing out of ordinary, but wouldn’t advance, so knew something not good.
So I went to the other side, really slooow cut. Pounded a wedge in, then slab cracked in two and I got to see the culprit.
Pic of the metal, then what happened to the new ripping chain— it’s toast.
Ordinarily I’d give the friend that gave me the log a ribbing, but he’s been called to the eternal ranch— will have to wait awhile....

DF6E37FB-F281-46C2-9CC0-8F3BAE1D6C91.jpeg

C3DFB307-7D8D-4648-8FA0-65EF70F2CBD9.jpeg

9ED41069-F6A9-4F0C-9E07-F74107EC67A7.jpeg

A7E1CE70-1571-41BA-A66A-9ECD6148E8E2.jpeg

DEE6E6F3-AADD-458B-8C73-D1FA1D76AE2E.jpeg

Last edited:

TimR

Sawdust Engineer
Reaction score
First name
Tim
Any idea what it is? Worst thing I’ve encountered was about 2” tip of scissor...talk about hard!!

David Hill

I collect & use Texas woods---but prefer Mesquite.
Reaction score
Cuero, Texas--Not far from the Third Coast
First name
David
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
@TimR
Well, it’s got a punch out for a carriage bolt, so I’m guessing hardware for some really old equipment that got forgotten
The tree was near a fence in a big field....
Doubt my little metal detector would’a pinged—- ah well—- hindsight is 20/20.

Graybeard

Reaction score
First name
David
I used to ask kids if you hung a pail on a tree and went away for a hundred years where would the pail be. Most said, higher up the tree. When I told them the tree would EAT IT they'd look at me like I was crazy. Good opportunity to teach a lesson on how trees grow. My neighbor, immigrant from Switzerland, told me he hung a cow bell in the crotch of a maple. He died, then the tree died but we never found the cow bell. Sorry you lost your chain and glad no one got hurt but what a great teaching lesson.

Nubsnstubs

Where is it???
Reaction score
First name
Jerry
Yep, love those things hidden in wood. I've found stuff, but never lost a chain. Too bad, and it won't be the last time that happens. I think in about the next 3 pieces I cut, I'm gonna hit a rock. No chance of hitting steel because they are old wild tree stumps retrieved from the desert. ................ Jerry (in Tucson)